Versatile compressor under $500?

NCdan

One thing I've always wanted to invest in was a decent compressor, since one has to use digital compression and limiting so much in order to reach "acceptable" loudness levels these days. I would want something that is versatile -- something that can be used on bass drums, snare drums, bass di's, vox, etc... Is there anything that will really do a good job at $500 or less? Btw, it's sort of implied, but this compressor should be pretty transparent. A little off the top end is no big deal, but I don't want something that really colorizes the sound. Thanks.

I find a properly calibrated analog chain much easier and far more forgiving than digital for acquiring 'war volume' - But I digress...

Cheap comps under $500... The RNC (of course), RNLA, ART's Pro VLA (although you might have to go through several of them to find one that "sounds right" in many cases)... Not much else I suppose...

I'm a hardware nut - But there isn't an awful lot of "budget-friendly" hardware that beats a good set of plugs (but on the contrary, there are a lot of wonderful hardware pieces that beat pretty much any plug I've ever used).

If you want clean and pretty transparent. In your price range the RNC by FMR Audio is a very strong contender.

Yes to all of these. DBX 160a, RNC, exceptional value is the ART Pro VLA. Perhaps even Symetrix 501, 525......

So far the recommendations are pretty much what I've been looking at. I've heard that the DBX 160a is only a good compressor for rock. I've also heard that the RNC isn't good at bass. Are either of these claims true? If there's one thing I do need a compressor for, it's bass, because I suck and I play a lot of reggae, so I need a good bass tone. I play mostly hardcore punk and reggae -- think Bad Brains and you'll get a fair idea. So, it's more important that the compressor can handle bass and bass drums than being able to handle vox or guitar.

So far the recommendations are pretty much what I've been looking at. I've heard that the DBX 160a is only a good compressor for rock. I've also heard that the RNC isn't good at bass. Are either of these claims true? If there's one thing I do need a compressor for, it's bass, because I suck and I play a lot of reggae, so I need a good bass tone. I play mostly hardcore punk and reggae -- think Bad Brains and you'll get a fair idea. So, it's more important that the compressor can handle bass and bass drums than being able to handle vox or guitar.

Heresay isnt the evidence of truth its the lack of it.

You can use any device for anything. Used properly it will deliver to its best ability....its only a tool. I am certain beyond doubt that the manufacutrers didnt develop each piece as a one-trick-pony. I used to have the box and the owners manual for one of my 160a's and nowhere does it say that its a 'rock' compressor. I'm sure theres nowhere in the operations manual on the RNC that says 'bad for bass'..

Its all about the operator.

One suggestion I have for ANYONE playing raggae bass is be sure and use flatwounds on the bass. It makes the sound tighter and more punchy without the overtones roundwounds give you. Maybe you need a new set of strings more than a compressor for bass.

I have a couple RNCs and a couple DBX 160xts (version before the 160a - basically the same comp). The RNC is more transparent and I like it much better for vocals than the DBX. The DBX is a bit more aggressive and I like it better on instruments, and especially drums, than the RNC. For a cheap comp for bass, I like the Symetrix 501 (the model with the metal power toggle switch). I have a 501 whose sole purpose is bass. With some judicious shopping, you could get one of each for a total of $500. I've got better comps than these as well, but they are all more than usable without any apologies.

And some tools are better at certain tasks then others...

well of course.

My point being there is so much anti-information out there in cyber land that leads people astray simply on 'heresay'. Of course you wouldnt use a 1/2" socket on a 3/4" nut.

I'm fairly sure this goes without saying.

But a statement about a recording device being "Good" for only one genre of music is silly. A good engineer can use anything for anything and it would take personal knowledge to really place the 'sound' of a compressor in a mix anyways....

Having 'choice' is always a good policy when selecting outboard gear to record with. Knowing the parameters and the effect a piece will have on a particular source is also something that every recordist should know. As is obvious, some things sound better on some sources than others. The difference may not be in the brand name on the piece but rather in the topology of its design. This is also something that a budding sound engineer should include in their lessons.

Unfortunately, people dont pay a lot of attention to these firm facts but instead take their questions out to the general opinions found on websites and bulletin boards. Experimentation is the only way to know these things and establish knowledge that is irrefutable to each and every user of gear.

I could tell you that such-and-such compressor works well for ME on a particular type of track, but this wont mean that it wont work for YOU on something else.

And this is my point of the perpetuation of mis-information that one can find on a daily basis.

I find a properly calibrated analog chain much easier and far more forgiving than digital for acquiring 'war volume' - But I digress...

I'm a hardware nut - But there isn't an awful lot of "budget-friendly" hardware that beats a good set of plugs (but on the contrary, there are a lot of wonderful hardware pieces that beat pretty much any plug I've ever used).

I'm with you. You can get way better plug-ins (at this price range) then you will ever be able to get in real hardware. Look at Blue Tube Series from Nomand Factory http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/bluetubes_v3/index.html I have all the hardware compressors already mentioned and these plugins (IMO) smoke them all.

In fact, for shits and giggles I just picked up a Focusrite Liquid Mix 16 on e-bay for about $160 and it was worth it just for the Manely Variable MU (awesome). There are so many useful compressors & EQs modeled it's worth every penny and then some.

well of course.
All good points, and well taken if toned down a bit, but I feel as though the discussion around the best hardware for different sources, is pretty much exactly what this forum should focus on...

Anyone can read the white sheets for specs and performance, and most manufacturers will present their product as the one solution for all sources... It's the guys who use them day in, and day out, that can provide valuable insight as to the best match of hardware to hardware, and hardware to source that you won't find anywhere else...

I agree completely that these suggestions should be received as just that, suggestions... a rule of thumb and not the absolute law... but I think it's wrong to discount the advice or say thats it's more misleading than helpful...

And you're right, experimentation and personal experience will be the final factors in equipment use and selection, but some words of advice from experienced users can narrow the field significantly, and steer the the novice in the right direction.

FMR RNC very good quality for the price, and will handle all sources

However, if you are just doing bass and drums and that is all you really care about, you can spend less money

Another vote for the FMR RNC. You can get one used for a little over $100 on Ebay. I also own an older Behringer Composer Pro that sounds surprisingly good for a cheap compressor. Stay away from the Alesis 3630.

Judging by the few helpful responses I received, it seems that the DBX 160a really is the better compressor when it comes to bass? If the compressor I get needs to excel at one thing, it would need to be bass. The vox will be screaming, rapping, and off-key singing, so I really don't care too much if my vox aren't captured in stunning clarity due to the compressor. I also really doubt I will be compressing the guitar tracks at all: I will probably just apply a very light limiter with my software if they are somehow peaking too much (is that even possible with a cranked tube amp?). So, it looks like the DBX 160a is the better choice for me, unless someone thinks there is honestly a better compressor under $500 for what I'll be doing. And if anyone gives me another answer like, "You need to make the gear work for you[,]" I will reach through the internet and strangle them. :eek::D

Back