Vegas vs. Acid

elevate

I had some thoughts while reading through the Acid 5.0 thread, but thought I'd start a new thread instead of crapping up that thread further.

So, Acid now has a fairly significant number of audio features that are missing from Vegas. I've been a Vegas user since version 1, but it seems that as time has gone on, less and less time has been devoted to tacking on audio features. So, the question is, is Sony positioning Acid to be "the audio app" and Vegas to be "the video app"? Obviously, there will always be a pretty good deal of cross-functionality, but the past couple versions of Acid have been pretty huge in terms of added features, while the Vegas versions are kinda ho-hum, at least with regard to audio.

I hope that Vegas 6 will be massive as I've grown quite fond of its video features, but I'm not holding my breath.

From taking a close look at the philosophies involved, Acid will NOT be a replacement for a DAW in version 5. Sony repeatedly states that Vegas is an NLE and not specifically a DAW.

At the beginnings of Vegas 2, SF had a chance to be the be all end all daw, even eclipsing PT in every way, with only a few feature enhancements, but they chose not to. At this point we are INCHES away from the next version of Vegas to be the leader, with a lot more demands than back in the vegas 2 days, but again, the company philosophy is still that Vegas is an NLE. It could easily be done, but may not be. They have their reasons.

Perhaps its time to specifically ask for a DAW from Sony/SF

They already know what the majority of users want, and already have detailed roadmaps spelled out by the users for this purpose.

I would rather just see Vegas get the few remaining pieces of philosophy to make it correct, but what do you think? Time to start asking for a DAW?

Acid's not even a true multitracker. It would be nice to record more than one track at a time with Acid. I use both programs. Whichever one I use depends on the music and my needs.

Anyone updated to Acid 5 yet? I'm probably gonna do it, but was hoping to hear some first-hand experience of the new features.

pipelineaudio said:
I would rather just see Vegas get the few remaining pieces of philosophy to make it correct, but what do you think? Time to start asking for a DAW?
Well, the reason for this thread is that it seems to me that Acid is approaching DAW status faster than Vegas. It appears that nowadays, any feature that gets added to Vegas that makes it more DAW-worthy, is an afterthought. VST and MIDI support would be godsends for me if they made their way to Vegas. Not to mention the new workflow features now in Acid (nestable tracks - where have you been my whole life?).

Is it true that Acid still only records one track at a time? If so....WTF?

Bottom line is that Sony, if it desired, has pretty much the entire codebase for a full-fledged DAW, between the Acid and Vegas projects. A couple more features and a marketing plan from hell would be all they need for world domination.

I knew that was the case in version 4, but I had assumed that was no longer the case. I went back looking through Sony's site and couldn't find anything that expressly said, "we are stupid and kept the silly 1-track-at-a-time recording paradigm". Then as I was checking out this screenshot, I noticed: no arm button on any tracks. Lame.

Back