Vdrums, MIDI, DFH - help !

PinkFloyd

OK ,here's what I'm thinking.

Get some sort of (hopefully free/cheap) program that will record the MIDI data from my TD-8.

Use that data to trigger some samples like Drumkit From Hell or something, and then import that as a stereo wave file into my Tascam 788.

Is this all there is to it? Or am I seriously missing something out ?

Is it worth doing is? Anyone using DFH in this way?

I'm only just getting used to recording and stuff, so please keep it simple you guys !

For what it's worth, I did just this for a friend of mine recently. I believe he is using Cakewalk to record the MIDI performance from my TD-6, then play it back through an Alesis DM4, after he 'cleans' up the MIDI drum track. He does this because he is using one ADAT and sometimes needs all 8 tracks for other instruments. He connected his MIDI cable from my TD-6 to his computer. I'm not sure what kind of interface he is using.

Is this what you were going for?

Yeah,

I basically want to record the "performance" (ie the MIDI data) and then use that to trigger the samples, either from DFH or something or even back through the TD8.

This means I can amend the sounds of the say the snare and toms without re recording the whole track.

I kinda thought recording the MIDI data would be easy -now I'm not so sure !

Back