vcache and virtual memory

bhlewis

hey could someone please give me some helpful tips and instructions for changing my vcache and vm settings?I did do a search but could not find good instructions. Please help im still getting pops and clicks and ive done everthing i know to do. However i only seem to be getting them during playback. Any other optimizing advice is welcome. I'm running w98sec intel p3 733 mhz 128meg ata100 7200 rpm western digital 10 gig hd cakewalk pro 9 core2 soundcard.

bhlewis,
Here are a few tips from the Pulsar manuel. "Start>settings>Control Panel>System>Performance>File System>Troubleshooting. Write behind caching must not be activated. Check the "Disable write.."
Start>Run>type "Sysedit" <Enter> >select SYSTEM.INI make the following modification and Save: [vcache] MinFileCache=32768
MaxFileCache=32768 In this example, they used 128mb ram divided by 4= 32. 32 X1024=32768. Divide your RAM by 4.
Also, go to RME-audio.com and look at their optimizing tips.
Chuck

thanks chuck yes i already disabled write behind cache in it. but when i go to system ini all i see is VCACHE but no way to change the settings.

bh,
You make the new entry directly under vcache. After you do your calculations based on your RAM, type the data without spaces or comas in your number. Min entry goes over Max.
Chuck

some tips to optiize,

Disable all static vxd's
disable all the startup items, including the system tray
don't use flashy icons
disable windows sound
disable power management
disable the screensaver
defrag your hd

I hope this helps a little

There's alot more to optimizing a PC for recording than just the swap file and vcache settings. As CyanJaguar eludes to, other things usually need to be done for the PC to be stable and happy.

I would ask CyanJaguar a question however. Tell these fine folks how to disable the static vxd's as most people don't know how. As for the rest, almost everyone will tell you:

Activate Busmaster operation
Limit Hard disk Cache (vcache) to 16384 min/max Or use the formula shown above by oneArtist.
Disable CD-ROM notification
Disable System sounds
Best Color Depth is 16 bit (High Color)
De-activate Screen Saver
De-activate Power management
Don't use 'animated windows'
Exit Task scheduler
De-activate scrolling Tooltips
Disable scrolling Taskbar
Use msconfig to disable startup items
Set your swapfile size manualy
etc...

There are more things, I repeated some that CyanJaguar stated because they are all important to do!

All of these things are found on the web for anyone who looks for them. But knowing what to use is the bigger question that I hear most often.

Now it just so happens that I am trying to put together a real time chat soon for users of another forum. The chat will cover PC optimization on a per PC basis so if you've tried tweaks and they did not work, we can talk about your specific setup. As I am new here I don't wish to solicit anyone or be spammed, but with the amount of optimization questions floating about I just have to ask if anyone is interested in participating. If so, please let me know by email rather than taking up post space here. Or visit Collaboration Central for a followup.

I do this only to help and for no other reason than the love of figuring out a puzzle.

static Vxd's are a pain in the behind because they do silly stuff (like assign all those extra green key on your keyboard to websites) and they take up memory.

To disable them in win Me

Go to programs/accesories/system tools
run system information
click on tools
click on system ???

you can remove stuff from or disable your system.ini, win.ini and static vxd's here.

Don't diable win.ini or system.ini, but go through and see if you can't disable any unneccesary stuff put there by programs that you don't have anymore.

Also , you can disable all static vxd's none of them is useful in music software.

I guess the real question would be, how does the average user know what is OK to disable? I know, but it's my business. You can't expect the general user to have that knowledge.

The bottom line would be don't disable anything your not absolutely sure about because it might be something you do need (with regard to vxd's).

Programs that can be executed are OK because if you need them you can run them manually.

good point.

that is why it is a good idea to disable one thing at a time or one section at a time, so that if anything goes wrong, you can always go back and enable that thing.

For example, yesterday, I disabled write back cacheing on my removable drives. Protools quits opening.
I just went back and enabled it.

If I had done that as well as 5 other modifications at the same time, I would not have the slightest idea what to undo.

As an average user, I would not mess with windows specific entries. I only mess with program specific entries.

For example, I would not be in my right senses if I went and deleted my mciseq.drv or fnt.drv or and .drv in win.inim but I could delete the whole Logic fun entry in my win.ini, since I don't use Logic fun anymore.

There are also guidelines on the internet to help

Back