Various tube mics

theletterq

As Uncle Sam was nice to me this year (tax wise), has anyone had a chance to compare the CAD M9 with the Rode NTK? I never hear anyone even mention the CAD yet I've run across a couple of reviews that say it "comfortably undercuts" it's competitors (Rode, AKG solidtube, etc). Thanks...

For what's it worth, I went straight to "the source" (Fletcher) with this question and based on his reply, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the plunge with the CAD.

Little perks: They're American made and include a case and shockmount for the same heavily discounted price of the Rode.

No ill will towards Fletcher but he doesn't carry the Rodes mics so why would he recommend one. Hey I'm in sales, I'd do the same thing.

I A/Bd the NTK against several other tubes and thought it was the best at under $400. The CAD was not on my list however.

The only way to really know is test them yourself, people's taste's vary, a pleasing sound can only be found in your own ears.

Yep, I just picked one up for $385 from Musician's Advocate in Vegas. No state tax and shipping was $15. New in the box.

Fletcher only sells what he knows is good and that he actually uses.
I've used Rode's before in a voiceover situation and find them brittle and bright sounding when compared to other microphones, including Neumann 87's and 89's.
That's on my voice.
It may be different for you.
If I had the dollars, I'd have a top line vintage U47.
I've used those for a year in 1970 and still hear that sound in my head.
I'm getting a Soundelux E47 later this year.
Otherwise, I use the old standbys, the lesser Neumanns, RCA 77DX and 44BX, RE20, SM7 and SM5B, along with the Senn 421 original version.

Back