Valve amp clicking noise

Jenny.

Hi guys. ;) I've just bought a 2nd hand Fender twin reverb amp (70's) to use for recording. I don't know too much about amps so a friend of mine (guitarist) tried it out with me when I bought it. It sounded great, lovely and warm. I got it home and turned it on and it makes a kind of clicking noise, the clicking noise increases as the amp is turned up. The speed of the clicking is changed by the knob labelled 'speed'!? I don't quite understand this. I can kind of get a setting where it isn't too audible with some playing round but i wanted to check if there was a problem that needed to be fixed? Any ideas? Thanks, Jenny.

Hi guys. ;) I've just bought a 2nd hand Fender twin reverb amp (70's) to use for recording. I don't know too much about amps so a friend of mine (guitarist) tried it out with me when I bought it. It sounded great, lovely and warm. I got it home and turned it on and it makes a kind of clicking noise, the clicking noise increases as the amp is turned up. The speed of the clicking is changed by the knob labelled 'speed'!? I don't quite understand this. I can kind of get a setting where it isn't too audible with some playing round but i wanted to check if there was a problem that needed to be fixed? Any ideas? Thanks, Jenny.

Sounds like a problem with the Tremelo (possible labelled 'Vibrato') circuit. The speed control regulates the frequency with which the trem effect is applied, and there should also be a 'depth' switch which controls the intensity of the effect. try turning both down completely and see if the sound persists. You may have to return this to the store for service by a tech.

It's the tremelo circuit and it doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong. Do you have the tremelo/reverb switch installed? The tremelo won't work without it.

It sounds to me that the tremelo is on and the intensity is set to zero. Push the tremelo button and the clicking should stop.

Back