Value of Proteus 2

Markd102

Guys

Can anybody tell me what a second hand Proteus 2 would be worth. It's the one with the orchestral type sounds in it.
A mate who owns it wants to bring his band into my studio and use the Proteus for payment or part payment, depending on what it's worth.

Oh, by the way..... I'm in Australia :D

Mark

I've got one sitting around also. I havent seen too many on the used market. My guess would be about $3-400 US so I think that's about $15,000 Aus ;)

Mark,

> Can anybody tell me what a second hand Proteus 2 would be worth. <

$29.95 - the price of the same sounds you can buy from E-mu in SoundFont format. I'll also mention that the Proteus/2 was great for the time when it was first sold, but these days you can do a lot better. The free Fluid SoundFont has much better instruments than the Proteus/2 in my opinion.

--Ethan

yeah, but does your sound blaster have multiple outs and is it rack mountable? I didnt think so.

Your probably right, just fuckin with ya. I found the Proteus 2 to be very thin sounding overall but I love mixing it with warmer Korg or Kuzweil strings. The Grim Reaper and Tremulus patches are also cool for scary film stuff. The bell percussion sounds were also pretty good.

Tex,

> yeah, but does your sound blaster have multiple outs and is it rack mountable? I didnt think so. <

No, but with LiveSynth Pro and Sonar I can get as many outputs as I need. And I don't want a rack unit, because I don't have a rack anymore! :)

> Your probably right, just fuckin with ya. <

I know.

> I found the Proteus 2 to be very thin sounding overall <

More than the "tone" of the hardware, the real issue is the basic quality of the classical music instruments. First, none of them use stereo samples or long sample loop lengths, and the overall tone/miking quality is not so good. It's okay, but not as good as some of the SoundFonts you can download for free these days.

> The Grim Reaper and Tremulus patches are also cool for scary film stuff. <

Sure, some of the off-beat stuff is cool. I have used Vampirical several times. I read in an interview that the Whistlin' Joe patch was used in the X Files theme.

--Ethan

I always thought that Xfiles whistle was the Prot 2. It's funny when you start picking out the patches out of songs. I can spot an M1 patch a mile away.

Back