Vacuum Walls

KingNothing

Heres a thought/question.

If sound is carried by vibrations in the air, then eliminating the air would result in the elimination of transmitted sound, correct?

Why not build walls with some sort of plastic lining, and use a vacuum to suck all the air out and seal it off? This thought is bothering me. It seems so obvious to me, yet I have never heard of anyone doing it, instead resorting to layering tons of insulation/wood/concrete/foam on top of each other to stop sound.

Thoughts?

The walls themselves (the shell for your vaccuum) will still vibrate.

The plastic lining will probably buckle from the outside pressure caused by a vaccuum inside.

Your best chance would be to make the walls out of hollow glass for a cylindrical isolation booth.

Extend the bottom and the top of the glass far above and below the rooms you wish to isolate.

Create your vaccuum in that. This way the vibrations that would carry over would be above or below (out of harm's way) and the glass should be able to withstand the force imposed by your vaccuum (the way a light bulb stands up to it).

Of course, you'd have to enter the room from the floor below via a trap door.

This is getting impractical.

:D :D

Last edited:
Haha.

Impractical. Hardely.

Ya, I realized the part about outside pressure. That aspect had escaped me. I must now figure out how to construct a wall to hold up approximately 48 tons, using sheetrock and 2x4's.

:rolleyes:

Hey, if you suck out the air from INSIDE the iso booth, you won't be able to hear any outside noises at all! :p

Back