v77 Marshall

DanielJohn

I noticed that it comes with a power supply, Does this mean that Phantom power will not work with this mic????
I guess I'm just confused a little bit with my lack of knowledge about tube mics. Is this common for them not to use Phantom power?
Thanks
-DAN

Last edited:
hey whats up , i got this mic
it doesnt use phantom power , its a tube mic , im not positive
but all tube mics ive had experience with come with their own
power supplys including this one.... you plug the mic into the
power box with a 7 pin wire (the 7 pin wire comes with it) , an xlr from the power box to your mixer/preamp whatever....hope that helps
later

gary

eh im sorry i think i just told you what you already know...
i got to read these things more carefully....

later
gary

DanielJohn said:
I noticed that it comes with a power supply, Does this mean that Phantom power will not work with this mic????
Is this common for them not to use Phantom power?
Thanks
-DAN

You're right, Dan. If the mic has an external power supply it means it needs more than the 48 volts that phantom power gives. In addition, you'll notice that the cable from the power supply to the mic has more pins (typically six as opposed to the 3 on an XLR cable) - so you couldn't try and use a regular mic cable with phantom power even if you wanted to, because it wouldn't fit into your mic.

There was a time when all tube mics required their own power supplies. In recent times companies like Microtech Gefell and AKG have come out with phantom powered tube mics. But many people think it is a design compromise and prefer the original concept.

Back