V76t, Cardinal, V67i ?? What? What the heck is going on?

Dracon

OK!
Yes, I have been out of commission for 23 1/2 months while I've been playing around with insurgents and mortars. Fine!

However, does that mean the whole world has to go crazy! Common, at least I knew when someone was not speaking my language. Now I'm back and people are talking strange.

So what's the skinny? V67i is basically a V67G on roids or it has it own version of Jekyl (when you flip the switch). Two mics in one or just junk?

Blue/EV Cardinal? It looks cool is it worth the look?

I read up on the V76t and I think I really need one (don't know what for yet but I'm positive I do need one). Has anyone used this yet?

first of all i like to THANK YOU! for taking care of the bad guys who are trying to kill us. not that i will be of much help but i havent herd much about the blue- cardinal mics. i read blue mics went through some changes with production. maybe thats the reason?

gemsbok said:
first of all i like to THANK YOU! for taking care of the bad guys who are trying to kill us. not that i will be of much help but i havent herd much about the blue- cardinal mics. i read blue mics went through some changes with production. maybe thats the reason?

Well that's the problem around here, it is hard to know who's who. The bad guys last week are our friends this week but are still friends with bad guys who who in turn support the goverment who are our friends. Yeah, if you are confused don't worry so is everyone else. But to more important stuff...

Have you used the V76t at all? Its a tube mic and I wouldn't mind one bit having one but just wondering if anyone has used it. I have not seen any reviews in this forum for it.

V76t anyone ??

Last edited:
Well I've read around this forum for a bit and found that the V76t is the replacement for the V77 (apparently discountinued) but that they are not exactly the same.

Something about getting the tubes replaces with (a bunch of numbers), etc, etc.
I realize that they are not comparable but which one would be best for voice recordings and acoustic instruments (violin, classic guitar, piano)?
Does anyone know?

...yeah, I had one of the first V76t mics which I reviewed for this site, comparing it with the earlier (superior) V77s...
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=157623&highlight=v76
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=159006&highlight=v76
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=184622

...I actually preferred the MXL 960 to the V76t and it goes for around the same price...
http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=15772
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=197271

...the tube upgrades are pretty much a must on both the V76t and 960...both have tube sockets (unlike the original V77s which had the tube soldered in position) so the swap out is very simple...

kidvybes said:
...the tube upgrades are pretty much a must on both the V76t and 960...both have tube sockets (unlike the original V77s which had the tube soldered in position) so the swap out is very simple...

Dude... What are you doing to me? You are killing me! I'm trying to narrow it down and now I have a third mic to look at? LOL! For the love of all that's decent I need a cricket to be my conscious.

Oh! I just posted a new thread with that very question (like two seconds ago) about the 76t. So it does come with sockets do you know if the 69 comes with sockets as well?

Oh! I noted the 76t comes with a crome grille (not gold or silver) and wondered if it warrant having the grille replaced with a gold plated one (since the grille looks exactly the same as the one in the 67G). Any suggestions?

How hard is it to replace the tubes on these (could a noob do it)?

Thanks!

Forgot to ask Kidvy

What do you like about the MXL 960 over the 76t or the 69??

I looked at the description on the MXL website and it says its airy and crisp (two words I really don't like when it comes to my mics).

Now if I had a salad I would like it to be airy and crisp but not for my mic. To me airy and crisp translates to all highs and no lows. I rather have a rich full sound even if it is colored and not the true sound.

I'm not recording a violin concerto played on a Stradivarius nor am I recording Jimmy Hendrix. I'm mainly doing voice (speach) and my own crappy acoustic guitar playing. So, for now I want something that makes me and those I record sound better than I actually sound (if that's possible at all).

Therefore airy and crips means that it would capture every crappy thing and perhaps make it sound like a tin. Although, I don't know since I've never heard the mic at all and cannot say (going on their description).

Most people love the Shure M57 or M58. I tried them both and compared them against the Sennheiser E945 and I loved the Sennheiser. To me it is a much richer and smoother sound. Most people think I'm insane but for me and the price being the same they two mics are like night and day.

I would probably give the Shure M57 to a kid to play around with or for Kareoke but not for me to record.

...the 960 has a bit smoother sound than the V76t (IMHO)...less bite on the high end...but quality tube upgrades definately clean up the high end on all three mics (V69, V76t and 960)...there have been some rumours that the 960 is based on the V69 design, but I can't confirm any truth to that...

...tube upgrades are very simple and easiest on the 960 and V76t...the V69 is a bit trickier due to the placement of the tube, but still very do-able, even by a nooby...

...nice price on an open box special V76t from a very reputable seller here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MXL-Marshall-v7...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...flip a coin and go for it...there's always eBay or HR.com free classifieds if you aren't pleased...been there, done that many times over...Good Luck!

kidvybes said:
...the 960 has a bit smoother sound than the V76t (IMHO)...less bite on the high end...but quality tube upgrades definately clean up the high end on all three mics (V69, V76t and 960)...there have been some rumours that the 960 is based on the V69 design, but I can't confirm any truth to that...
Luck!

All this mic talk is making me dizzy. V69 is suppose to be the same as the 960 or at least similar? Is that even true?

I mean if you compare the specs alone you can tell they are different animal all together.

Type: Tube Cardioid Condenser Microphone
Frequency Range: 20Hz – 20 kHz
Polar Pattern: Cardioid
Sensitivity: 20mV/Pa
Impedance: 200W
S/N Ratio: 78dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
Equivalent Noise Level: 13db (A-weighted IEC 268-4)
Max SPL for 0.5% THD: 135dB
Tube Type: 12AT7
Power Requirements: 120/240V, 50/60 hz
Current Consumption: <3.0mA
Size: 58mm x 220 mm
Weight: 1.75 lbs
Metal Finish: Champagne

V69
Type: Condenser pressure gradient mic with large 25mm diaphragm capsile
Frequency Range: 20Hz-18kHz
Polar Pattern: Cardioid
Sensitivity: 22mV/Pa
Impedance: 200W
S/N Ratio: 72dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
Equivalent Noise Level: 22dB (A weighted IEC 268-4)
Max SPL for 0.5% THD: 140dB
Power Requirements: 110/220 Vac, 50-60Hz
Size: 50mm x 190mm
Weight: 1lb
Metal Finish: Black/Gold

Granted they could have changed the tubes and hterefore it changes the response. However, if they are using the same design then the S/N Ratio should be the same (theoretically). I will give you the frequency response graphs for both are very similar (although the 960 being cheaper shows signs of it) and the peak in the 960 is at 10K while it is about 15K in the 69.

Granted perhaps due to the lower cost material they used in the 960 it may afffect a great deal including the S/N. I suppose it would have to be cracked opened and compared.

Yes I know I changed my mind from its a different animal to it might be the same. Just thinking through with my finger folks.

No I'm not a mic Engineer nor have I any knowledge of MXL or how they made their mics. Just posting my opinions.

...similar mic circuit designs using different body/grill combinations will have very different performance specs...the grill alone has been known to impart different sonic characteristics...but I have only heard that rumour,and haven't found any concrete evidence of such...the 900 series of mics were made exclusively for Musicians Friend, and the belief is that many of them are simply repackaged versions of existing MXL models which allow MF to sell them at more competitive price points...again, rumour for the most part...

Back