Using VSTi's and their different programs?

jabulani jonny

Hey guys,
I've been recording for quite some time and have really only used MIDI and VSTi's a little bit. Here's the scenario:

I'm using a bass plugin that has the normal bass notes on one program channel and then has finger noises and slides on two other program channels. I'd like to use these finger noises and slides, but I can't decide what's the best way to do it.

Do I need to automate program changes on a single midi track before and after each time I want to use those finger noises and slides. Or do I setup a seperate midi track and a seperate instance of the plugin for finger noises, and another midi track and instance for the slides? Was that clear as mud? :D

Come on all you great MIDI genius'. Help a MIDIOT out.

Thx!

Jonathan

I posted a question about this on cubase.net and got a great reply - can't remember the exact set up but if you do a search for the thread you should find it (same posting name as here). You can do it all from the one midi track by assigning the different sound banks through the list editor. This is very useful especially if you are using something complicated like EW Symphonic Orchestra which could have up to about 20 different movements for certain instruments.

jabulani jonny said:
Do I need to automate program changes on a single midi track before and after each time I want to use those finger noises and slides. Or do I setup a seperate midi track and a seperate instance of the plugin for finger noises, and another midi track and instance for the slides?
Supehumans answer works if you're using Cubase, but if you're using a sequencer that has no list editor I'd try it both ways and see which way gives the best results balanced against the 'pain in the ass' factor.

If running two instances of the plugin is too much for your computer and your sequencer offers either track freezing or track rendering when you finish the automating process to your satisfaction use one of those processes on the plugin track.

Took me while but I found it by searching your username. Got the link saved. Thanks for the direction. I'll try this when I get home.

JOnathan

Back