Using VST plugins without a sequencer

Peter Maydew

Is there a stand-alone host that will enable VST instruments to be used directly, e.g. with a keyboard? I'd like to try out some of the freeware synths etc., but I don't have (or want) a VST enabled sequencer like Cubase. If there's a free one with VST support, that might be a different matter...

Don't know it myself but this is in the current software bundle with M-audio soundcards.
It's called 'DSound RT Player Express'
Sorry, I don't have a link. I believe it's a free version that will only work with M-audio hardware. There should be a full, pay for, version if you 'google' for it.
Incidentally, I think the m-audio version can be downloaded from some freeware sites like hitsquad.

There is VSTi host, which is relatively cheap but it is a Mac program. There's a sequencer usually packaged with Computer Music (a UK magazine) caled Muszys or something that is free and uses VST plugs. It should do what you want.

Besides, some VSTIs are designed to work both ways - as a plug-in and as a stand-alone program, like Native Instruments stuff.

Muzys is a Sequencer. It IS free, though, or at least the CM version is.

Steinberg has an app called V-Stack that's designed for live performance. Reviews have been mixed, but price was okay, under $100 IIRC.

Daf

Back