Using the waves SSL bus comp. a problem?

Maor

maybe im not so familiar with the original hardware version, but it seems to me that the compressor ratio is going upside down. when i put it on 10, it does the lowest amount of compression, and when i dial in 4 it does more, and 2:1 does the biggest amount of compression.
is it like that in the hardware version as well? if so, can anyone explain the logic behind this?
or am I missing something?

i dont see how is this relevant, because this happens with all sorts of settings, in different occasions, just when im toggling back and forth between 2/4/10 ratio.
but just because you asked, on my current mix the threshold is set to the highest (indicates as +15 i think), attack 30 (which is slowest) and release 0.1 which is fastest. make up gain on 0. analog on.

All the controls work interactively...and your source material will make them behave differently.
The way you have it set above...is almost like not using it, with the threshold set that high, unless of course your source is so hot, that even set a +15, it still makes the comp react some...?

I doubt the ratio settings are working "upside down"....

Some comps do this sucky (IMHO) thing where if you adjust the ratio they think they're doing you a favor and altering the threshold.. too.
Maybe that's the case here?
The UAD Precision Bus comp is one I can think of right off.
To me, trying to out guess' something like this is a total PITA way to do it thank you.

well I AM using it on the mix buss, so it's pretty hot there. with these settings, and a mix that clips at around 5-6 db, i'm always trying to get just little compression- 1, 1.5. 2db max on the biggest transiesnt.

Not Shure what you're trying to say here. Your mix is 5-6 over zero? but you only want a few db reduction?

I know that the 1176s adjust the "compression threshold" when you change the ratio, so maybe it's just doing that.

Thr ssl buss comp has a soft knee on low ratios and a hard knee at high ratios. this effectively changes the threshold, which puts you farther into the reduction on the low ratios than the high ones.

Back