Using the new 24 track HDR

Jim Marquard

A friend of mine just bought one. We tried to record with it. meters showed a digital signal was getting to the recorder. But when we played back our stuff there was nothing there. No meters moved, nothing. We followed the instructions in the manual. Armed the tracks, hit play and record and I watched the meters go up and down. But nothing was there when done. What the hey. Am I missing a step? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace, Jim

I am not to familiar with this unit yet, but make sure you are not monitoring the input

PTS said:
I am not to familiar with this unit yet, but make sure you are not monitoring the input

What you mean by this? I wanna know?

Jim, I am sure that you skipped over something very simple. Possibly you didn't have it in Play/Record or something. I just used one a bit ago and it worked VERY well.

Ed

You can monitor the inputs, but until you actually ARM the tracks, it will not record. The HD24 works just like the ADAT.

The tracks were armed. The little red light on the track meter flashed before record was engaged and then stopped flashing and stayed lit when record was engaged. So I'm still at a loss. The transport controls are pretty staight foreward so I don't think I messed up in pushing the wrong buttons. I was using ADAT digital inputs and the input light showed that the inputs were set to digital, not analog. I know when I was talking to my wife she had a pretty good laugh (nice support sweetie!) because I usually can get music equipment to do what I want it to do. I was just about ready to pull my hair out after an hour and half of trying to get this thing to work. Maybe it is a defective unit.

Peace, Jim

What I mean by monitoring the input is on the front panel of ADAT's and I assume the HD24 there is a button called ALL INPUT.
If this function is active the unit will only monitor the input even if the unit is playing.

Paul

Okay, Paul. That bottun was on. So I will try that to see if there is info there or not. Maybe it was my digital mixer set up then. Because I did try one track with an analog input and got something on the hard drive but still was not getting anything back to the mixer via the adat lightpipe. Could it be my cables? I am using TOSlink optical s/pdif cable and figuring it will work for adat optical as well. It seemed to get the info to the HD24. As I said, the meters showed activity on five different channels/tracks.

Peace, Jim

What digital mixer are you using?

On digital mixers, you have to select the cards that are installed to interface with the ADAT lightpipe for that to work, like with the Yamaha O2R. You may just have the consoles analog inputs enabled for the channels you want lightpipe on. Check that out.

Ed

Back