Using the grid

jimmy2sticks

Do you guys know of any good tutorials on using the grid in pro tools? I have been using pro tools for many years and now and I am some what capable of using the grid. I would like to get kick ass at it though. Any direction?

there's not really much to it. Grid Mode is just another way of dealing with regions at a different resolution. You can change the Grid to show Bars|Beats, Time code, Samples, Min|Seconds...etc. This way when you move regions around they will snap to the grid lines. It helps when you have recorded with a click track or have used Identify Beat/Beat Detective to align the rhythm to a set tempo. Then you can grab individual beats in grid mode easier and move them at will.

Yep, the grid becomes infinitely more helpful when you know the tempo (BPM) of the tune you're working on. Especially when your vocalist insists that you cut and paste the hook 15 times rather than he singing it, but I digress......

I am familiar with using the grid to cut and paste regions and so forth. What I meant to really ask is using the beat detective. I would like to be able to shift some not so great drum patterns to better match a beat. Kinda falls into the same category as pasting the singer's hook 15 times....

Back