Using the drumkit inside EZdrummer to play along?

psongman

Hi, I have researched a lot of threads but can't seem to get a definitive answer on the possibility of this. I am trying to make EZdrummer more personal and mate it with some percussive elements of my own playing.

I guess what I am asking is, can I play the drumkit that comes up when the VSTi loads like in Reaper along with the midi grooves I import supplied with the EZdrummer program and its addons. In Reaper they have a midioverdub feature, so can I play on top of the samples I brought in and mix and match tailoring it to my song.

The reason I am asking this, is the fills that take you from verse to chorus and to some bridges, etc., just don't seem to fit correctly and I believe I know how to play drums though not well, to accomplish this. If there is a better way to go about this, please chime in, as I have a lot of keyboards with midi too, or can this be done with those piano roll thingies. Well, will await your assistance, thanks for listening, psongman

Last edited:
There are any number of ways to accomplish what you're trying to do.

I am not familiar with Reaper per se, but yes, you can use the "piano roll thingies" to edit the drum hits to where they should be, or you can delete the incorrect hits and play them in live using what is called a "MIDI Yoke", which is like a virtual midi input. This is downloadable off the internet. As is the 2nd little app you need to use with it, "Virtual MIDI Keyboard". Which essentially allows you to tap on your PC keyboard to trigger the sounds, which can be recorded onto the MIDI track. 2 things you need to know here is that the exact MIDI Yoke input/output numbers must match between the keyboard app and your recording program for it to work, and also, you may need to fiddle with the "Transpose" feature to get the drums layed out comfortably on your PC keyboard.

However, if you own a REAL keyboard with MIDI capabilities, why bother right? This would obviously be a better solution if you have that option.

My final recommendation is using your own (music) keyboard, if you feel the need to really "play" the drum track, with some post-editing after in the piano roll. The virtual keyboard is useful to know about however if you for some reason don't have access to a real keyboard.

Back