Using Tascam M-216 INSERT as OUTPUT to Daw???

xmortumx

Well this is my situation. I just bought an Echo Audiofire12 firewire interface and im thinking of purchasing a Tascam M-216 mixer to go along to record using my Daw nuendo.( I want the mixer to use the pres, and to monitor mix)

Now here is the deal, can i use the Tascam mixer Insert jack as outputs, then use that same insert return the signal from the daw so i can record, yet monitor my overall mix with the mixer and daw? Im mainly looking to Multitrack with the mixer yet i still want to use it along my DAW(nuendo) to monitor and mix... for example i want to use the board EQ, and at the same time use some Plug ins from my daw. Is that possible? will their be any latency issues?

Here how i plan on using the mixer along the audio interface(Correct me if something wont work)

Mixer----(with TRS Y cable) To AudioFire12 interface.
LOOK AT THE PICTURE!!
mixyn1.jpg

If you guys can help me clarify my situation please let me know of any suggestions.. or if i dont make sense because i really dont know about mixers along with DAW's.

thanks

Yeah, that should work...Does the Echo have a DSP mixer then to setup latency-free monitoring? That would be ideal. Could get a little hairy when you are monitoring playback of tracks in Nuendo though, if you have sources plugged into channels for which you are monitoring playback.

A better option would be to mod TRS cables to serve as send only cables without breaking the signal path and have the INSERTs connected to the inputs of the Echo, and then have the outputs connected to the TAPE jacks on the M-216.

Yeah you can do that. The insert out is post EQ/pre fader, so you’ll lose the channel fader as an input control. The trim control will be your only input level control on the mixer. The channel fader will control the output of the Audiofire12 to the program Busses and Stereo busses of the M-216. Latency is completely dependent on the your DAW hardware/software. Make sure your nominal input/output levels on the Audiofire12 are set to -10dBV.

:)

Yeah you can do that. The insert out is post EQ/pre fader, so you’ll lose the channel fader as an input control. The trim control will be your only input level control on the mixer. The channel fader will control the output of the Audiofire12 to the program Busses and Stereo busses of the M-216. Latency is completely dependent on the your DAW hardware/software. Make sure your nominal input/output levels on the Audiofire12 are set to -10dBV.

:)

so would that be a hassle combining the mixer with my daw being prefader?

Im a little confuse.... so if i loose the input control i wont be able to control the amount of volume for each mic when i record? is there other alternatives to combine the mixer with my DAW?

so if i loose the input control i wont be able to control the amount of volume for each mic when i record?

You will have level control, but only using the TRIM or GAIN knobs. See, the job of those knobs is supposed to be to get the weak signals coming from the mic and to be able to boost those weak signals to a level that is a proper operating level (i.e. hot enough to stay above the noise floor of the mixer), then the fader is a secondary gain or level stage to control the level of the signal as it leaves the mixer...boost it coming in so that the source signal buries the noise and the mixer has something to chew on, and then boost it again as it leaves. Gives you two points of control...one for the mixer, and one for you. Using the mixer INSERT jacks as direct outs eliminates the gain stage that is for you. Doesn't mean it won't work...most every AD converter with a preamp in it only has a gain knob anyway, and that's because the typical operating level is close to the digital clip level...so you trim your mic level in and you're already there level-wise for the DAW. Does that make sense?

Its not ideal in a traditional sense relative to how recording mixers have been utilized for many, many years, and it is, IMO, totally unacceptable for recording to analog recorders since they can handle much higher peak levels than an analog to digital converter because there is a mathematical limit to how high a signal converters can handle...there's no way around it.

You will have level control, but only using the TRIM or GAIN knobs. See, the job of those knobs is supposed to be to get the weak signals coming from the mic and to be able to boost those weak signals to a level that is a proper operating level (i.e. hot enough to stay above the noise floor of the mixer), then the fader is a secondary gain or level stage to control the level of the signal as it leaves the mixer...boost it coming in so that the source signal buries the noise and the mixer has something to chew on, and then boost it again as it leaves. Gives you two points of control...one for the mixer, and one for you. Using the mixer INSERT jacks as direct outs eliminates the gain stage that is for you. Doesn't mean it won't work...most every AD converter with a preamp in it only has a gain knob anyway, and that's because the typical operating level is close to the digital clip level...so you trim your mic level in and you're already there level-wise for the DAW. Does that make sense?

Its not ideal in a traditional sense relative to how recording mixers have been utilized for many, many years, and it is, IMO, totally unacceptable for recording to analog recorders since they can handle much higher peak levels than an analog to digital converter because there is a mathematical limit to how high a signal converters can handle...there's no way around it.

Yeah man i understand a little better now... but i think ima save my money to buy a new mixer that is more appropriate for this job. Im thinking of purchasing a Toft ATB16. It has Direct Outputs for every channel and i heard nothing but great things about it. The only bad thing is that it will take me a while to get around 2 gran :(

but thanks a lot.

This might not work traditional analog recording, but its fine for recording to DAW. It sounds like it would work the same as my Mackie Onyx 1620 which is perfect for using as a front end of a DAW.

The fact that the send is prefade is essential if you want to hardware monitor instead of through DAW so you can elminate any concerns with latency. you can adjust the monitor mix without affecting the level that you are sending to disk.

I'm not too familiar with your Audiofire interface, or exactly how you want to use it, but you really only need a stereo pair out for monitoring. you adjust the mix through the stereo pair with faders in your DAW.

I don't think direct outs are going to give you too much more.

Back