using Superior Drummer wav. files in Reaper

Codeseven

Hi, Can I use the wav files of Superior Drummer in Reaper? In other words, I'm recording an acoustic drum kit using mic's and an audio interface to my MacBook Pro via Firewire. Can I click on a FX tab on a Track and select Superior Drummers wav. files just as I would a VST/AU? My Presonus Firepod does have MIDI ports but I'd like to use mic's and not MIDI triggers on the drums. I'd like to be able to use the drum wave files in SD to augment my drum recordings. Thanks

As far as I know, the only way to use SD's samples is in conjunction with the SD interface.
There's a plug that comes with REaper called JS Midi drum trigger that you can configure so that your audio tracks trigger samples in SD.

As far as I know, the only way to use SD's samples is in conjunction with the SD interface.
There's a plug that comes with REaper called JS Midi drum trigger that you can configure so that your audio tracks trigger samples in SD.

Thanks Dug, I'll try it out.

You wouldn't select SD WAV files, you would select SD VSTi plugin. You can't select WAV files as plug-ins.

If they are standard wav files, you can drag-and-drop them into any track.

But the only thing that will show up in the fx windows are actual coded plugins.

Someone posted these helpful instructions on the Reaper forum:

Set up two tracks, we'll call track A and track B.

Send track A midi signals to track B. If you want to trigger a drum sample from a VSTi (BFD2, for example), load this on track B.

If you have individual wave files for each drum piece, you don't need ReaEQ, however, if you have some bleed or whatever, use ReaEQ with a band pass to pick out the kit piece you want to capture (Eg, kick drum). This is done on Track A.

Next on the fx chain on Track A insert drumtrigger (JS effect). Set the midi note # to the kit piece that needs to be triggered. Play the wave file through and change the open threshold and close threshold values until you hear the kit piece being fired in the VSTi. What you want is when the sound goes louder than the open threshold, the midi signal is on, and when it falls below, the midi signal off.

When that is all cool, put midi_velocitycontrol (JS effect) in the track A fx chain (after drumtrigger). Play around with the "velocity add" slider to get the median/average velocity of the midi hit about right. Now, fine tune the threshold values on drumtrigger to get the desired velocity dynamics and you're off.

To record the midi hits to a file, set track B to record, and set it to Record: output (MIDI).

Should take you about a minute to set up, another minute or two to fine tune and you're off.

Now, say track A is converting kick drums to midi and now you want to do the same with snare, create a new track, we'll call track C, with the same fx chain as track A, and send all midi from track C to track B.

Done.

Back