using segments of other artists

Setherial

not sure if there's a more appropriate forum but.....what's the legal procedure in plagiarism? haha...i'm doing my own stuff but would like to add some of that mideaval chanting stuff. do i have to get permission to do this?

Medieval stuff, by its very nature would be in the Public Domain, which means anybody can perform it, or record it, if they're the performers....if you sample something off a "Greatest Medieval Riffs" album or something, though, you're cutting into the rights of the performers that made that recording...you'd be duplicating their voices without their permission....so do the chants yerself, and multi-track yerself into deprivation bliss......gibs

there's a group called mortitian that has alot of cuts from movies in their music. who do u think they wrote to for permission? so the music i hear with chanting monks in the background...did these groups contact the chanters or production company or what?

Contact performing rights organizations (they've all got web sites), I think...ASCAP, BMI...they're the ones that keep track of airplay and performances for the artists/writers....the permission would have to come from whoever holds the rights to the performance/song....there's also a big ass law firm whose name escapes me that controls a lot of stuff....Hill?....can't remember....they're huge....gibs

The Harry Fox Agency is the place you need to check out for the performing rights on songs, song-bits, samples, etcetera.
For the most part, you can't use a musician's copyrighted and published works without permission.
For further info, check it out here....

http://www.nmpa.org/hfa.html

......Buck

Hey Buck, thanks...Harry Fox was it... but they do play rough I've heard...I can't for the life of me why I thought it was a law firm or sounded like "hill"....although I guess they have lotsa lawyers on retainer...memory fading.....must take...medicine...gibs:D

punks do it...

I heard a punk band, can't remember the name right now, but just about all they do are cover songs - old stuff by Barry Manilow, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, etc. They take some of the slow ballads and speed them up to insane speeds, lots of ultra guitar distortion - I'm sure you can imagine. The thing is, they don't actually change any notes or phrasing, just the tempo and volume, and thus it's perfectly legal - they don't even have to ask permission. Anyone else heard of this (or know what band I refer to)?

music1csw, legally, that band can do it all they want as long as they're not charging a fee for performing it, or selling their versions in any way...the charged-for performances are pretty difficult for the performing rights organizations to keep track of....'frnstance, if a high school garage/cover band plays a dance and there's a price for admission, then they're supposed to pay the publisher/writer a royalty....of course, this rarely happens...however, in large cities, cover bands playing in clubs often get caught...more fish in bigger waters...it's possible the band you're talking about actually does pay to play and or record those tunes, too.....gibs

Re: punks do it...

music1csw said:
I heard a punk band, can't remember the name right now, but just about all they do are cover songs - old stuff by Barry Manilow, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, etc. They take some of the slow ballads and speed them up to insane speeds, lots of ultra guitar distortion - I'm sure you can imagine. The thing is, they don't actually change any notes or phrasing, just the tempo and volume, and thus it's perfectly legal - they don't even have to ask permission. Anyone else heard of this (or know what band I refer to)?

People do it all the time, but they pay royalties on the songs if they release them.

I have heard many crazy covers over the years. Know of "Me First," but didn't know that only did covers.

Try some of the compilations on Hopeless Records as they always have a cool cover thrown in at the end. http://www.hopelessrecords.com/ has them for $4 and they're really quite good.

--
David Hooper
Kathode Ray Music
http://www.indiebiz.com/

When it comes down to it, its only 7.55 cents per song when you "rerecord" the works of another writer/publisher. If you're selling a CD for $8+, SURely, you can afford to pay the songwriter/publisher < $0.08 per CD. It's not like their asking for your firstborn or anything. <g>

Rev E

Back