Using rubber cleaner(conditioner) on Reel to Reel.

pM of impk21.co

It's been a long time since I've used analog. My guy got some rubber cleaner for his reel to reel. He freaked out a little cuz the first couple of times he used the cleaner there was so much black gunk that came off the pinch roller he thought he was doing something wrong. But if I remember correctly, you should be able to keep cleaning the pinch roller until you no longer see any black gunk on the swab. Correct? Thanx for any help, PM

After you apply the swab with the cleaner on it, you use a dry swab until there is no more black. If you keep using a wetted swab the rubber will keep coming off.

:cool:

What kind of rubber conditioner are you using? I need to add that to my box of tricks. I'm looking at Caig Labs. I use contact cleaner and lube from them and been very happy.
Brad

A good one is Rubber Renue which I was able to get at a VCR repair shop (those will slowly go the way of the dodo, so maybe get lots...then again it lasts for years). Beck is right, just wet a swab and clean it once, then wipe it down with a dry swab because the cleaner will keep taking off more rubber if you keep using more. Also keep the stuff in your garage or out of the way because it reeks!

Tapehead said:
A good one is Rubber Renue which I was able to get at a VCR repair shop (those will slowly go the way of the dodo, so maybe get lots...then again it lasts for years). Beck is right, just wet a swab and clean it once, then wipe it down with a dry swab because the cleaner will keep taking off more rubber if you keep using more. Also keep the stuff in your garage or out of the way because it reeks!

I second the Rubber Renue stuff (MG Chemicals). Be sure to use it properly though, and in a well ventilated area!

Daniel

Back