Using reverb as blend to bring mix together

Again on PREDELAY: I mostly use ReaVerb in Reaper. I throw in an impulse file (tehre are big, small, wide rooms, etc). Down the botom of the settings is one called 'pre-reverb' is that what I want to set to 50-75 mseconds?

Yup. Though, I wouldn't say to set it to any specific #ms. What works works. Or it just doesn't. lol!

Again on PREDELAY: Down the botom of the settings is one called 'pre-reverb' is that what I want to set to 50-75 mseconds?
That's the one but rather than that let's take it a step further.
Pre delay isn't the primary definer of room size. In larger verb presets it can already have before most of the early or main reflections gaps built into them. Think of it as big spaces by design having the early stuff set back (in time and/or level.
What would be a good trial might be to pull up some medium to small rooms (or plate) and where reflections tend to be closer and shorter. These tend to combine with the source and set it back into the verb space by nature.
Beginning with decent amount of 'wet and a zero predelay on a kit for example, adding just a few ms of predelay will let the kit move forward' ahead of the verb some.

Anything from a couple of ms to 5 - 10 -15 will have more of that 'move the room back effect (source forward', same same.
-The short delays/reflection combine in our ear as one with the source (Per Haas.
-Instant depth/clarity control.

Out further, is in effect setting the walls back into audibly delayed gaps, or can even be timed to tempo like delays.
The sane stuff applies to large spaces, it's that as the reflections are (or can be) already set back and/or spaced out as well (density control), the predelay 'numbers = time of effect' aren't necessarily quite so straight forward.

Thanks for the clarifications, guys.

My caveman rule of thumb is - higher pre-delay = closer to you (the mixer-listener), lowering pre-delay moves things back. You can easily play with this concept to get a feel for it. If you use larger verbs using pre-delay will *dramatically* increase intelligibility of the vocals. Like most people (I think :-)) I use reverbs on fx channels with sends, not as inserts. When you do this I find that it's important that the reverb on the FX channel is 100% wet for the best control - most don't default to 100%.

Another tip for working with verbs is to put a high pass and a low pass before the reverb input so you can tune exactly what goes in frequency wise - EQ also has in influence on depth. Back in the 60s there were special bandpass hardware boxes that did exactly this before sending stuff to the plates or chamber. Most reverbs have a set of settings for eq, but I find it alot easier to use the eqs I'm used to using for everything else.

Again on PREDELAY: I mostly use ReaVerb in Reaper. I throw in an impulse file (tehre are big, small, wide rooms, etc). Down the botom of the settings is one called 'pre-reverb' is that what I want to set to 50-75 mseconds?

Yes, that is the predelay. If your plugin doesn't have this setting, you can just insert a delay plugin before the reverb set to 100% wet.

delaying the reverb does 2 things, separating the verb from the original source, which can help with intelligibility and making the reverb sound bigger.

...Another tip for working with verbs is to put a high pass and a low pass before the reverb input so you can tune exactly what goes in frequency wise - EQ also has in influence on depth. Back in the 60s there were special bandpass hardware boxes that did exactly this before sending stuff to the plates or chamber. Most reverbs have a set of settings for eq, but I find it alot easier to use the eqs I'm used to using for everything else.
I remember first learing about 'eq'ing the verb returns, but I really think eq on what's going to the verb does get a slightly different effect out the other end. :)

Using reverbs will help you persuade your audience that every instruments have been recorded in the same space.
So yes, it definitely works.
You should check Fab master this trick in one of his free videos:
Puremix_Mixing Bass and Reverbs

Man, do you get paid to promote Puremix? It is a very informative set of videos, I like them myself, but it is very spammish
when every other post from you, directs people to a site that charges money for more videos. You are allowed to put links in your sig, but come on man, stop selling on a site meant to give free help. Or buck up and pay to advertize here.

Please reply.

Jimmy

I do not get paid and these are links to free videos only. Plus 80% of the site is free. That's what I call "free help".
Plus I do participated on a regular basis to other threads without referring to this website. I only do i when I feel like it can help someone.

I did not realize that posting this type of links could appear spamish.

In Mike senior's Excellent "Mixing Secrets" book, he extolls the virtue of using a reverb for blending purposes - but it does have to be a certain type of verb.

You need one with virtually no tail and plenty of early reflections, set 100% wet on its own buss and will almost certainly need to be EQ'ed with HPF & LPF

Back