Using Reason 3.0 - Confused about what synth/midi device I need.

dekodesigner

Hi there.

I have recently purchased and played around with Reason 3.0 for my new computer based studio approach.

I was looking at the korg triton as a synth/sequencer, but then realised that Reason 3.0 is a sequencer.

I would now prefer to purchase a midi keyboard/controller to play my refills I have added to Reason.

I basically need a keyboard/controller that will allow me to play the sounds from my reason sound bank, on the actual keys of the midi keyboard.

Any Reason compatible midi keyboards/controllers I should look into? I really want to get my productions off the ground now.

Advice will be appreciated as all this synth, controller, keyboard talk is confusing me as to what I actually need to do the above functions.

Thankyou, James.

Do you have a MIDI interface already?

If not then you could use this which doubles as a MIDI interface and keyboard.

As for compatability with Reason... if it's MIDI then it's compatable :)

Midi

I have a midi interface.

I have a yamaha midi keyboard from like 3 years ago.

Can I use my re-fills from reason upon the keys of this?

If not, what keyboard would I be best with? And do I need a MIDI controller?

I just want to use the sound bank i have on reason upon my keyboard, each key playing a different note of 1 sound to contstruct a beat.

Can I do this with what I already have?

Thanks, James.

if your yamaha keyboard has midi, just plug it in to reason and set up the control surfaces... i have the same keyboard that synkrotron noted... it works fine for me

dekodesigner said:
I have a midi interface.

I have a yamaha midi keyboard from like 3 years ago.

Can I use my re-fills from reason upon the keys of this?

If not, what keyboard would I be best with? And do I need a MIDI controller?

I just want to use the sound bank i have on reason upon my keyboard, each key playing a different note of 1 sound to contstruct a beat.

Can I do this with what I already have?

Thanks, James.

Most of even the simplest of Yamaha home keyboards generally come with MIDI capabilities nowadays. Are there MIDI ports on the back? Just an Out would do.

So yes, I can safely say, even without knowing anything about the Reason software, that, providing your keyboard has MIDI, you can control Reason, at least play notes, with what you already have.

andy

So I can plug my yamaha midi keyboard into my interface, select it on reason and import the sounds from my sound bank onto the keyboard?

the keyboard will then play the sounds in a different note on each key?

You don't use Reason to export its' sounds onto your keyboard. You use your keyboard to control Reason on the computer.

Back