using rack effects during computer mixdown

natmj

I want to get into computer recording soon, but will I still be able to use my old rack fx for mixdown?

In other words, if I'm using a computer, how do I use my rack reverb to add reverb during mixdown?

depends what your mixing down to- for exampl- you could record tracks to your computer, then when you want to mix down, connect an external tape or dat or something and use the outboard fx through your mixer. However, most recording software (if not all) has effects on the computer via plug ins that can be very nice- supperior to alot of outboard effects. so maybe you could just sell the outboard stuff- i dont use mine anymore- actually it landed in the live pa setup today cause a just dont use it for recording- if you're mixing down to the computer which would make more sense, you could run an out from the card to the outboard and back in - recorded to a different track in your software- like i said though- you may be just as happy with the effects on the puter- hope thats helpfull---

-jeff

due to the fact that most of these software guys have no idea what its like in the real world, real world I/O is a BITCH on most of these software apps. In almost any case it CAN be done, but youll need to stand on your head, slaughter 13 chickens and draw pentagrams on the floor

This is a frequent rant of mine against the Buck Rodgersization of our gear and art by these clowns. Once you try and see the trouble you have with it, be sure to email the company in question and let em know the trouble you are having.

I've evolved my setup to do just that. I track to a HD24 and transfer all that into the computer. I use Cakewalk 9 to tweak and automate the mix but I'm routing the individual tracks back out through a MOTU 2408 to the HD24 (for the D/A converters) to an analog console. I can use plugins in real time and outboard processors and effects simultainiously.

fears confirmed?

Thanks for the replies. My story is this: right now I'm still stuck in the multitracker console world (I use an FD-8) and am thinking about going computer. I don't have a computer, but I use a friend's to add some effects. (I just send out digital to his computer, process, then send back digital to my board.) The two rack fx I would hate to lose are a tube-driven Peavey reverb and a RNC compressor.

So I'm torn. If going computer means giving those things up or going thru mini-hell to use them on mixdown, then maybe I'll be happier without going computer right now.

I have no idea how good basic compression and reverb are on the computer, but I can't imagine digital reverb being as good as tube. And I can't imagine the compression that comes standard on processing software is that great; the RNC is a really nice little compressor.

Back