Using Pro-Mark Hot Rod Sticks to record...

I know i'm not answering your question, but if you're hearing obnoxious overtones when playing with sticks, maybe hot rod sticks isn't the answer.

I think what is happening is you are not exciting the kit quite as much so there is not a huge amount of reflected sound bouncing around being picked up by the mikes and not being exaggerated perhaps by an untreated room.
I have also found playing a little less bombastic lowers the huge difference between the transient spike of the initial hit compared to the nice tone of the resonant drum making them sound more meaty.
Add to that you are probably playing softer on the cymbals allows a better balance between the kit an cymbals.
When recording I often go to heavier sticks, put not playing as forcefully for these very reasons.

Giant toothpicks.

Just personal preference, but there is something about the sound of rods that I can't stand. All my friends that play drums love them but I won't record with them. To me they're like the vocoder of the percussion world.

I've recently played often with two different drummers- and I mean, different- older/younger, jazz/rock background, good/better, and they both like playing with those kind of sticks- and those of us who are playing a relatively small space with them (40 x 40 x 20) like 'em lots, too. Have not heard them recorded, though.

I've recently played often with two different drummers- and I mean, different- older/younger, jazz/rock background, good/better, and they both like playing with those kind of sticks- and those of us who are playing a relatively small space with them (40 x 40 x 20) like 'em lots, too. Have not heard them recorded, though.

Nirvana's MTV Unplugged record was recorded with them I heard.

I don't mind playing with them for the sake of noise control. I always heard the sticks rubbing together and that annoyed me allot, and they break real easy under normal conditions.

Back