Using Pod and a portable studio

Vease

I don't want to go through the hassle of using computer software for recording my (fairly primitive)songs, and I was wondering whether I could just have a simple setup running a Guitar/Bass through POD and straight into something like a Korg D8 where I can keep everything on a single removable hard disk.

Does a portable studio hold sound files in a way that I could later transfer them onto CD? I am just testing the water here as I really don't know the capabilities of this stuff.

Yeah. Some have options for plugging a CD burner right in. Most have at least a stereo digital output (S/PDIF) that you can use to send the audio data to a computer. Not sure if any can save their files in a standard format like WAV -- that would be nice.

G'day Vease,

Yep. What you're after is 'do-able' with most stand-alone recorders.
I've got a Korg D8 because I didn't want to go the computer recording rout either.
Most of the stand alone units seem to use their own proprietary brand of file storage. Mini-disc recorders obviously need to use file compression to store their files.
Some recorders with internal hard discs use their own kind of file compression. These types of compression make it pretty much impossible to do data 'back-ups' onto CD, although you can always 'mixdown' your audio to CD.
The Korg units don't use file compression. The D16 can convert its files to WAV files for export to your PC, but the D8 can't.
You can mixdown to stereo and 'record' that into your PC if necessary. OR you can use multitracking software on your computer and then 'back-up' to that; and seperate the tracks later so you have 8 'tracks' again to edit.
OR you can get a standalone CD recorder. Philips, Marantz, Tascam, Yamaha, all make them. You can use it to back-up to, mixdown to, and if you get a twin tray model, like the Philips, you can make dupes for family and friends to enjoy!!!

Removable hard discs, like the Jaz or Orb are ok for back-ups, but you will need quite a few discs, and those babies aren't cheap!

good luck.

Back