Using PC soundcard for recording guitar

appetite4gnr

Hi!

I am currently running Cubase 5 and I am using guitar amp modeling software VST plug ins for recording guitar at the moment. I need to know whether it is a good or bad idea to use my PC sound card for recording guitar.

My soundcard is an AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 , please check the specs of it!!

I do not know if its safe to plug my guitar into it, I do not want to damage my soundcard.

When I select it as my ASIO driver in CUbase I get an input/output latency of 5.805ms

Damage it to hell if possible! Because it is basically worthless for any decent recording. Read the first line of the promotion for your card. "Designed for High End Audio 'Playback'." Almost all built in cards are crap for recording. There should be a law against this.....

Get a real audio interface if you want to record, man. :)

Last edited:
Reading the rest of the spec, there's only one line mentioning the RECORDING side of things and it gives a basically meaningless number:

analog line input with 1/8" connector via AKM AK5353/7 102dB(a) S/N ratio AD converter (20Hz - 40kHz frequency response)

...since it mentions only the A to D converter with no mention of the rest of the system and no reference to gain settings/input levels.

Anyway, to answer your question, no you won't damage anything by plugging in your guitar but you'll likely find more noise than you want on quiet passages and a tendency to overload when things get loud. By all means experiment--but start saving your money for a proper external interface (which will likely cost not much more--and possibly less--than that "audiophile" con you presently have).

IF you have an electric guitar with no preamp, the chances are that the signal strength will be very low and you will have more noise than sound.

Back