Using one overhead?

TylerDrums109

So i have one large diaphragm condenser free and i dont have any small diaphragm condensers to use as overheads...could using this large diaphragm condenser actually get good results?...i also have some pg58's free...could using two of these work as overheads?...right now i have limited mics to use and i want to get the most out of what i have...

You could use the large condenser. The only issue you'll have is that you won't be able to use the overheads to expand the stereo field of the drums in the mix. That can be a big loss if you're looking for a huge drum sound, and will make it harder to separate the drums from other instruments in the mix.

I don't know how the pg58's will perform as overheads. The main thing you have to do in your recording endeavors is experiment. The best way to find out which of these two you should use for overhead sound is by actually trying them. Get into the studio and try both, listen to which sounds better, and go with that.

most recordings pre 70's and even later were kick snare and one overhead. Bohemian rhapsody by queen and killer queen are a couple of examples

there is a way to get a stereo image with one overhead....it is a vst plugin called voxengostereotouch its free and it does the job good it easy to use..just apply the plugin to your mono overhead track and there you go stereo sound give it a try

The Voxengo plugins pretty cool, thanks! I heard that one of the better places to place the overhead (if you've only got 1) is right behind the drummer, is there any truth to this?

The Voxengo plugins pretty cool, thanks! I heard that one of the better places to place the overhead (if you've only got 1) is right behind the drummer, is there any truth to this?

I would say if you were going to use one overhead the best placement would be over the drummers right shoulder pointed straight down at the center of the snare

Back