using my yamaha mg10/2 to control monitors

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
Is it possible to use this small mixer for both recording and controlling the level of my monitors? The amp I'm using has separate gain controls for the left and right channels. I'd like to use just use a single knob to control the overall level, for obvious reasons. The only problem is that I use this mixer as my pre amp as well. I guess what I'm asking is if there's a way to send a signal through the mixer that doesn't hit the actual summing amp (therefor getting mixed in with the master fader). From reading the manual, it looks like there is a way, but I can't quite figure it out. :confused:

If you use the insert trick for direct outs, you should be able to run anything to the other channels on the board without it interfering with your signal to the recorder. Course, you could only record two tracks at a time.... again, not sure what you're trying to accomplish though.

I apologize. I can't record more than 2 tracks simultaneously anyway, so 2 channels on the console would be all I need. I'm looking to send just my sound card's output to the console, where I can adjust the level, and then to the amp.

By insert trick, do you mean sending, for example, the stereo out from my sound card to the insert point, then from there send it to the amp, using the aux bus pot as the level? Thanks for the response.

No

Plug your mics into channels one and two. Run a cable from the channel inserts of channel 1 and 2 to your sound card. Don't push the cable all the way into the insert slot, just slide it in until it makes the first "click".

Then you should be able to run the output from your soundcard to any other input on your mixer, be it one of the other channels or the tape-in.Then the main outs of the board to your amp, and so on.

Thanks! Now I just have to get an RCA to dual mono cable for the insert jacks, since I've run out.

Back