Using my PC to make drum tracks?

octoruss

Ladies and gentlemen,

If you're anything like me, you're somewhat lazy. Yes, I'm embarassed to admit it, but I'll often whip together a half-baked drum track (something that I'm lousy at) so that I can move onto tracks where I have more skills, (ie guitar, bass & keys).

This logic has its obvious drawbacks, notably that my drums end up sounding like crap in an otherwise great recording. The problem is that I'll use my Roland XP-60 keyboard to either manually record drums in real time, or if I have the time, I'd use the sequencer and plan it out. But I am really awful with the Roland sequencer, and hope there's a better way.

Now I'm more of an old school musician, and my studio gear is DAW based. I do have a PC, but I don't use it for music composition or production. But it got me thinking--with all the advances in computer technology and digital drums, there must be an easier way of creating drum tracks on the PC, then exporting them either to my keyboard (via midi) or directly to my Roland 1680 recorder.

So my question for you experts is, is this possible? If so, what would I need to get started? Obviously a compuer program and I assume some drum loops/samples? If the latter is the case, how do I use those samples/loops to create a drum track?

I know this is a broad question, but I appreciate any help you can give.

Fruity Loops software and Drumkit From Hell samples...you wont be sorry.......

try out Acid 4 pro

it is great for sequencing drum tracks
up to 64th note triplets

and you get to "see" your wave files right in front of you
unlike with fruity loops its just a little bar representing your .wav
one hit or what ever

peace
LB

^^^^^^^

ACID is pretty damn tight with the drum tracks...

Most cats think it's all about loop based stuff but if you grab some single shots and zoom in it's like LB said "up to 64th note triplets". Everythings on a grid and right there in your face so all you need is the single shot samples and it's damn near a grid programmable MPC2000 for you computer. Drag and drop, very graphic display, and all so it's really much better when it comes to programming...

Native Instruments Battery.. with NI Battery Drum Kit.. great control of drum dynamics, works like stand application or VSTi plugin for Cubase....

i have my taylor-made soundfont (samples "stolen" here and there and a little tweaking) and I use it in combination with a low-budget midi-sequencer-programm.

quite easy as soon as you've got the hang of it.

Back