Using multiple PC's in tandem?

NRS

Anybody out there running more than one PC in tandem for recording? Is this even common? I dont mean just for multi tasking where you might be burning a disc on one PC while you do something totally seperate on another. I'm talking more networking two or more PC's to work on the same project together in real time where each would be handling a completely different aspect or program of that project (thus relieving the overall workload of the other). As an example, perhaps one PC might be designated as a midi generator, softsynth, or instrument modelling processor (or all three), while the other would be running strictly your main multitrack program.

If I did this, I'd be trying it on the following two PC's:

1) 800mhz Pentium 3 w/256 ram & 40gb HD

2) 2000mhz AMD w/512 ram & 80gb HD.

(both run win XP pro w XP2 )

Obviously any less taxing software would have to run on the older machine while heavier apps ran on the other. The total processes I'd like run together will be a MIDI keyboard w/softsynth, an electric MIDI drum set, a line 6 toneport for instruments, and a few vocal mics into a multi track PC interface. Would two PC's really fair better at this than one or would I better off just upgrading my AMD to 2gb of ram and using a multiple moniter set up?

Overall, one of my primary goals other than to just say "it can be done" is to have the option of making direct live multitrack recordings of a full band in one take which will already be as pre-processed and studio polished sounding as possible without the need of any more than minor level, panning and EQ adjustments during playback. This of coarse is not the proper method for serious demo work I know, but should make some killer quickie rehearsal CD's for reference. How might you guys configure this?

Last edited:
Back