Using MS on drums

killmachine

Alright I've been meaning to try it forever. I've got a good ribbon mic that I like very much and a AT4040.

I know how to set everything up. Im pretty sure I'll have to I'll have to double the S track to get the equivilant of
Track 1 M
Track 2 S+
Track 3 S-

So basically I'm copy the S channel to get 2 S channels then flipping the phase on one of them.

I geuss my question boils down to how to copy the S channel and flip the phase on it if I really don't have any means to flip the phase either on the board or in the recorder.

Just for reference:
Board: Behringer MX 9000 (everybody laugh and point and make fun)
Recorder: Alesis HD24

I was correct though with that setup for the MS right with M S+ and S- then right?
So the actual cable I would be lead reversing would be the output of the recorder back to the board on that S- track??

I split the signal and record both (to separate tracks)with the phase reversed on the - side of the fig 8 and normal on the other (obviously). You can use a y splitter and a phase cable if your board doesnt have a polarity switch.

Instead of duplicating the side track, what if you used three mics? Wouldn't it work just as good? (I do have the ability to copy and flip phase, but I was just curious.)

that would pretty much defeat the purpose of M/S...if you used an extra mic, your stereo image would be mush most likely.

RawDepth said:
Instead of duplicating the side track, what if you used three mics? Wouldn't it work just as good? (I do have the ability to copy and flip phase, but I was just curious.)

It's not quite that simple. If I recall correctly, it could work if you used two cardioid mics facing in opposite directions, flipped the polarity of one of the mics (because the two sides of a Figure of 8 mic are of opposite polarity), and bussed those two mics together to create one signal. This would be the S+. THEN you would take this signal and invert its polarity, creating the S- signal. It wouldn't be exactly the same, but somewhat similar.

Someone on here was discussing in a thread about the differences between a true Figure of 8 mic, like a ribbon, and a mic that creates a Figure of 8 pattern by using two diaphragms, like a multipattern condenser. The process I talked about would be similar to the dual diaphragm situation.

As usual, someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

To the OP, do you have a PC with any recording software? You could import the Side signal to your computer (via FTP or FirePort), invert the polarity in a software program, and export it back to a new track on the HD24. I would think even a freeware program like Audacity should be able to do that, and its not like you need critical performance from your PC to perform the task and save a .wav file.

Last edited:
yeah, you got it right. forgot to mention reversing the leads only works if the signal is balanced........

Back