Using Matched Microphones

hognogger

Hi,

I recently bought some Studio Projects C4s.

Recently, I read a thread on a forum (can't recall if it was this forum) where someone suggested that if you ever use one of the matched mics individually, then the pair will no longer be matched.

I don't know why this would be true, but I just want to be sure.

If it is true, would the resultant mismatching be significant for use in a home studio?

I'm sure it is true to a point. The sound of things change over time due to a lot of things. If you took one and put it in a closet for 3 years and stuck the other in a kick drum for three years, I doubt they would sound the same any more. The best bet would be to use them equally over time.

Thanks for the response.

I guess I'm wondering if the effect of this will be a problem in this situation. When I originally bought the SP mics, I had intended to have the flexibility to:

(1) Use them as a stereo pair for coincident micing
(2) Use one of them for mono micing
(3) Use one of them for pair micing in conjunction with a large diaphragm condenser.

I'm wondering whether uses (2) and (3) would compromise their usefulness for (1). If any mismatching that would result from uses (2) and (3) were only trivial, then, obviously, it wouldn't be much of a concern.

Nevertheless, it'd be nice to know...

I don't buy matched pairs and I have no problem getting good results. I think that you would see a difference on a scope much faster than you would hear it. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

As a user of a matched pair of Josephson C42's, I often use one for acoustic guitar in conjunction with a LDC. I can understand being a bit anal over caring for your mic investment, but I think this is taking it a bit to far...

Back