Using iPad as MIDI instrument from Windows based DAW Presonus Studio One.

I would like to consider buying an interface device like iRIG Pro DUO I/O or TC-Helicon Go Twin or may be something better that someone here can advise. This device should work as an interface to connect to the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter attached to my iPad Pro 3rd Gen USB C port to send MIDI and audio signals between the iPad and Reaper (Windows), through a MIDI interface and an audio interface.

The objective is to utilise the vast software synthesiser libraries in the iPad ecosystem and play and record them in my Windows based DAW as MIDI tracks. I suppose that this hardware interface device will allow my MIDI keyboard to trigger MIDI commands into the iPad based synth and out to a MIDI interface and an Audio interface, both connected to a Windows based DAW, Presonus Studio One. The MIDI interface will allow MIDI commands to be sequenced in the DAW, while the Audio interface will allow me to hear the sound from the iPad as it is being sequenced.

It’s best that I show it in the form of a diagram. Here’s it is attached. Everything in the diagram, except the orange coloured box, I already have with me.1000072936.jpeg

If you must do all this, then why not consider interfaces with ADAT outs and ins, then you could connect the two audio interfaces together losslessly?
There are two sound modules, with MIDI out? What would be coming out of the modules? Don't they need an in, then audio out?

If you must do all this, then why not consider interfaces with ADAT outs and ins, then you could connect the two audio interfaces together losslessly?
There are two sound modules, with MIDI out? What would be coming out of the modules? Don't they need an in, then audio out?
How do you advise connecting iPad via ADAT? 😂

The query is how to use “iPad as MIDI instrument from Windows based DAW Presonus Studio One.” The query isn’t about anything else. The drawing is only for illustration.

How do you advise connecting iPad via ADAT? 😂

The query is how to use “iPad as MIDI instrument from Windows based DAW Presonus Studio One.” The query isn’t about anything else. The drawing is only for illustration.

Perhaps you are not familiar with the adage of "if you ask 6 audio engineers their opinion, you'll likely get 10."

I use a powered USB hub which works with any USB Midi controller I'm not trying to record, just practice my lessons as I always wanted to learn piano. Any hardware you use with the iPad must be "class compliant" meaning it doesn't require an installed driver. There are a number of audio interfaces that will work with the iPad but they are all limited to 2x2. I don't know of one with old school midi in and out that is class compliant, but it might exist. Might be easier to just get two separate devices and plug in both with a USB hub. That is how I am doing my keyboard and 2x2 interface. As Rob suggested, you are introducing latency and a couple of needless conversions but hey, there is that vast ecosystem waiting for you.

er, the ipad is in your drawing, connected to the brown interface - I suggested that if that you had one with ADAT out, then your signal could go to the other interface digitally, without extra A/D D/A stages. I thought it a sensible answer? You seem to have an idea in your head, but unwilling to accept any advice that you haven't already considered? I don't get it. using ipad apps when they end up in a DAW does seem rather unusual. Fine of course, but the vast ipad collection is miniscule compared to VSTis - which are endless and cover many genres. It took time to draw the image - if it's not accurate, there seems little point in drawing it?

er, the ipad is in your drawing, connected to the brown interface - I suggested that if that you had one with ADAT out, then your signal could go to the other interface digitally, without extra A/D D/A stages. I thought it a sensible answer? You seem to have an idea in your head, but unwilling to accept any advice that you haven't already considered? I don't get it. using ipad apps when they end up in a DAW does seem rather unusual. Fine of course, but the vast ipad collection is miniscule compared to VSTis - which are endless and cover many genres. It took time to draw the image - if it's not accurate, there seems little point in drawing it?
I get your point Rob. Unfortunately I don’t have that kind of budget to get an interface with ADAT ports. Of course I do have the Presonus Studio 1824c that has ADAT out. But then I M not aware whether such an interface would work with an iPad.

As for VSTi’s, I do agree they are far better and bigger libraries but then it costs hell of a lot of money.

But above all this, my basic question, as to the kind and possible names of Audio MIDI interfaces that I could look at for my iPad, remains unanswered. Any suggestion would do be a great favour.

Do you still consider the block diagram as inaccurate in that case? I’ll be glad if you can point out the in accuracy so that I can correct it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are not familiar with the adage of "if you ask 6 audio engineers their opinion, you'll likely get 10."

I use a powered USB hub which works with any USB Midi controller I'm not trying to record, just practice my lessons as I always wanted to learn piano. Any hardware you use with the iPad must be "class compliant" meaning it doesn't require an installed driver. There are a number of audio interfaces that will work with the iPad but they are all limited to 2x2. I don't know of one with old school midi in and out that is class compliant, but it might exist. Might be easier to just get two separate devices and plug in both with a USB hub. That is how I am doing my keyboard and 2x2 interface. As Rob suggested, you are introducing latency and a couple of needless conversions but hey, there is that vast ecosystem waiting for you.
Can you suggest any? All I need is to use the iPad as a MIDI instrument. I have a spare Focusrite 4i4 4th Gen. But all of these only confirm using the iPad for sequencing and recording on Garage Band within the iPad. They don’t speak about using the iPad as a MIDI instrument in a windows computer.

I’m told devices like the IK Multimedia iRIG Pro DUO I/O can do the work. But I haven’t seen any video or technical write up. These are expensive as well.

Notwithstanding all the above, there’s one issue that still remains to be resolved. Windows based DAWs do not recognise more than one audio interface at a time. This means that the audio MIDI interface for the iPad and the main interface may not really work together.

"The objective is to utilise the vast software synthesiser libraries in the iPad ecosystem and play and record them in my Windows based DAW as MIDI tracks"

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Midi files into your PC Daw alone doesn't get you anything other than the performance data. I thought the point was the vast library of sounds aka, audio.

Roland make the UM-ONE mk2 USB to Midi that is reported to work with IOS. You'll need a powered USB hub if you are connecting more than one device to the iPad. Good news is that the iPad will support multiple devices such as keyboard controller, audio interface (2x2 limitation) and even a mouse and qwerty keyboard.

I'm no expert at this, as I am only running SampleTank on my iPad to have a portable practice device to use with piano lessons (lifelong guitar player). So I am only using MIDI into the iPad. A quick search found this video. It is several times longer than it needs to be but does show MIDI out working on the iPad. This means that you should be able to output to the MIDI input of the PC. The video is all USB MIDI including the interface he used into the iPad. If you need old school 5 pin, the Roland adaptor cable seems like the way to go.

I had a look through the products on offer - I think for the less than £100 price range, I quite fancy the Tascam US-1x2HR, which seems to have a nice balance of facilities, but doesn't have MIDI sockets. The Roland Rubik's 24 has two 5 pin DINs but that's more expensive of course? Looks like a couple of audio outs and MIDI is going to cost. The TC Helicon is better prices but has 3.5mm jacks for MIDI which is weird!

Can you suggest any? All I need is to use the iPad as a MIDI instrument. I have a spare Focusrite 4i4 4th Gen. But all of these only confirm using the iPad for sequencing and recording on Garage Band within the iPad. They don’t speak about using the iPad as a MIDI instrument in a windows computer.

I’m told devices like the IK Multimedia iRIG Pro DUO I/O can do the work. But I haven’t seen any video or technical write up. These are expensive as well.

Quick question. Have you tried plugging in the Focusrite into the iPad to see what works and what doesn't? Found this on the Focusrite site listing iOS compatibility. Also note, there is a Focusrite app for this. Edit: App doesn't seem to do anything for iOS other than work as a wireless remote for the interface. You'll have to investigate further.

Screen Shot 03-22-24 at 10.29 AM.PNG

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it all together, but if you want the sounds form the iPAD, that will be audio. To me, if I understand it correctly, I would record the audio and then copy the MIDI file to the target DAW.

Ignore if I missed the point.

"The objective is to utilise the vast software synthesiser libraries in the iPad ecosystem and play and record them in my Windows based DAW as MIDI tracks"

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Midi files into your PC Daw alone doesn't get you anything other than the performance data. I thought the point was the vast library of sounds aka, audio.

Roland make the UM-ONE mk2 USB to Midi that is reported to work with IOS. You'll need a powered USB hub if you are connecting more than one device to the iPad. Good news is that the iPad will support multiple devices such as keyboard controller, audio interface (2x2 limitation) and even a mouse and qwerty keyboard.

I'm no expert at this, as I am only running SampleTank on my iPad to have a portable practice device to use with piano lessons (lifelong guitar player). So I am only using MIDI into the iPad. A quick search found this video. It is several times longer than it needs to be but does show MIDI out working on the iPad. This means that you should be able to output to the MIDI input of the PC. The video is all USB MIDI including the interface he used into the iPad. If you need old school 5 pin, the Roland adaptor cable seems like the way to go.

What about the Audiobox 96 USB from Presonus?

Suddenly I'm your product research assistant/tech support? Look, I'm trying to help out but you'll have to start figuring some stuff out on your own. Plug in the damn Focusrite yourself and see what works already. Some advice has been given. Put some of it into action before asking for more.

Your drawing is clearer on this than you seem to be. You are going to be forced to feed the PC interface via analog audio if you want to record the output of the iPad. There is no other way unless you record directly to the iPad and export which probably won't be what you want. This means an interface for the iPad and one for the PC.

Suddenly I'm your product research assistant/tech support? Look, I'm trying to help out but you'll have to start figuring some stuff out on your own. Plug in the damn Focusrite yourself and see what works already. Some advice has been given. Put some of it into action before asking for more.

Your drawing is clearer on this than you seem to be. You are going to be forced to feed the PC interface via analog audio if you want to record the output of the iPad. There is no other way unless you record directly to the iPad and export which probably won't be what you want. This means an interface for the iPad and one for the PC.
Sure!

I have a Audiobox, it works on PC and Linux, couldn't say on the iPad, but there is a good bet it would. I am 99.9% sure it won't hook up to both at the same time. However, you might be able to pass through the MIDI from the Audiobox, MIDI out to the PC via USB. The Audiobox has a MIDI out, but I don't know if it will pass the MIDI via USB to MIDI out. But if you have it, it is worth a try. But you will need a DIN to USB cable.

If you have sound modules, how does their audio get into the computer? a little mixer maybe?

Think we're all a bit frustrated that we answer what we think is the question, but you get upset we don't? Communication difficulties mean you're guessing what we mean, and we're doing the same. I think we wonder why you've not just sorted it? Your diagram suggests you are happy with the analogue audio connection between the two systems - you weren't keen on keeping it digital, and spending some money - so we don't seem to be able to offer advice you approve of? I was going to duck out yesterday, but thought I'd try again - and sometimes you just have to go for it? What exactly are you using to consider the differences between the interfaces? Clearly it's not audio quality, but the connection possibilities? We can't really answer that. We've suggested loads for you to look at and research. Folkcafe said what a few of us were thinking? What is the problem with what's been suggested - firing your own suggestion back seems very strange?

Heck, to keep it simple, record MIDI and sound in iPad, drop your files to the DAW. Only thing you need to keep track of is the BPM. Now that is easiest.

Back