using headphone adapter

hey guys im trying to connect ipod headphones to my headphone amp via one of those 3.5 mm to 1/4 adapters. But when i plug it in all the way it doesnt sound right and out of phase, i have to play with it and take it slightly out to hit that sweet spot. But once i get it there, there is a light hiss(thinking perhaps impedance mismatch?). Ive tryed 2 different adapters and 2 different pairs of of ipod phones with same result. thoughts?

Last edited:
Could it be that the adapter your using is mono and not stereo (should have 2 black rings on it)
Or could you try it on something else Like a hifi or something to see if it works

the adapters are stereo, those standard 3.55 to 1/4inch adapters u find everywhere. I checked on a hifi stereo system. Still has the phase problem when plugged in all the way, but no hiss like on my headphone amp. thanks

^^^^+1^^^^

One of those rings is for the built-in mic on the headset; if it comes into contact with something it's not supposed to, it would probably cause some weird stuff to happen - might be the hiss, might be the "out of phase".

^^^^+1^^^^

One of those rings is for the built-in mic on the headset; if it comes into contact with something it's not supposed to, it would probably cause some weird stuff to happen - might be the hiss, might be the "out of phase".

that explains it. yes it doesnt seem to happen on my other headphones with 2 rings

thanks

Back