Using hardware compressor with an audio interface??

chava

To my understanding, a hardware compressor should fall in-between the pre and converter in a recording signal chain in that order (pre-->compressor-->converter). True?

So how exactly do you incorporate a compressor in a signal chain that has an audio interface which does not give you the luxury of putting anything in-between the built-in pres and converters? I'm guessing maybe you cant? Which means that one needs a standalone pre to enjoy the services of a hardware comp for recording?

You've got the right idea. Fortunately, there are some pretty good compressor plug ins. Unless you have a hardware compressor that provides some unique mojo there's not a whole lot of reason to bother with hardware compression.

Thanks. Reason why I was considering hardware compression is I wanted to be able to compress on the way in and SEE (not just hear) the results. I am using logic and the comp plugs are channel strip inserts so you don't really SEE the changes in the wave-form as you compress. Gotta admit that it's a bad habit I picked up from my cool edit days; I depend on my eyes probably much more than my ears when it comes to judging dynamics.

You don't need to create a new track, just render the compression on the track you got (you can always undo if you need to.) And if the 5 seconds it takes to do that is too time consuming, the I suggest you need to dump a few of the things you go on your plate because no one should ever be that pressed for time. ;)

G.

You don't need to create a new track, just render the compression on the track you got (you can always undo if you need to.) And if the 5 seconds it takes to do that is too time consuming, the I suggest you need to dump a few of the things you go on your plate because no one should ever be that pressed for time. ;)

G.

hehehe...roger that Glen! Thanks for the help everyone.

Thanks. Reason why I was considering hardware compression is I wanted to be able to compress on the way in and SEE (not just hear) the results. I am using logic and the comp plugs are channel strip inserts so you don't really SEE the changes in the wave-form as you compress. Gotta admit that it's a bad habit I picked up from my cool edit days; I depend on my eyes probably much more than my ears when it comes to judging dynamics.
"Bad" habit doesn't even scratch the surface of how horrible an idea that is... The last thing you should be doing is looking at a wave-form (I don't even turn mine on most of the time). And most would wholeheartedly argue against recording through a compressor unless you have a very specific reason for doing so and have a VERY solid handle on proper gain-staging. If you're watching wave forms, I'm going to assume you may have a little to learn in that regard, which makes this even a more horrible idea.

Back