using Harbinger speakers through audio interface to play music from laptop

camilotivo

Hello everyone..this is my first post here!

I recently got two Harbinger loudspeakers and my intentions are to use them at parties at the house. I'd like to have playlists playing from my computer that would play through the loudspeakers, and the only way I knew how to do this was to use my existing audio interface. I have both an Mbox 2 and a Focusrite 18i20. The computer I am using is a MacBook Pro.

After setting everything up and testing through both audio interfaces, the sound quality playing through the speakers is poor, nowhere near the great sound that I achieve when plugging in my phone directly to the speakers using an AUX cable. I'd rather not have my phone be the way to play the music because using the computer is more versatile.

What could be the problem here? Anyone have experience in this field?

Thanks!!

What software are you using in your computer to play the music? Try turning the volume level down in it - maybe you're overdriving the speakers?

Hello everyone..this is my first post here!

I recently got two Harbinger loudspeakers and my intentions are to use them at parties at the house. I'd like to have playlists playing from my computer that would play through the loudspeakers, and the only way I knew how to do this was to use my existing audio interface.

Yep. That's how I would do it too.

I have both an Mbox 2 and a Focusrite 18i20. The computer I am using is a MacBook Pro.

Either interface should deliver good audio to the speakers.

After setting everything up and testing through both audio interfaces, the sound quality playing through the speakers is poor, nowhere near the great sound that I achieve when plugging in my phone directly to the speakers using an AUX cable. I'd rather not have my phone be the way to play the music because using the computer is more versatile.

What could be the problem here? Anyone have experience in this field?

Thanks!!

The problem is not immediately obvious.

Some more information might help.

What model of Harbinger are you using?

How are you connecting from interface to speakers?

Specifically what is poor about the sound quality?

I am using these speakers: Harbinger Vari V2115 600 W15" Two-Way Powered Loudspeaker | Guitar Center

On the back of the speaker, there is a line out that I plug in a female XLR cable into and then that connects via quarter inch to the back of the interface.

I am using iTunes to play the music.

I just connected an AUX cord from the computer to the speaker and it sounds excellent.

I want to use the interfaces to be able to perform live. When connecting via interface, the sound is very muddy and lower in volume than normal.

You need to go from interface to line in.

On the back there are two places to do this. On input one, there is a 6.5mm socket. On input 2, there is an XLR. Either of these should do. See below:

harbinger.jpg

ok, so I need male XLR to quarter inch? because a quarter inch is where the "output" is fed on my interface as I'm sure is the normal case. XLR male to quarter inch is what I need to fix my problem?

Back