Using "group channel" in Cubase

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyG

Hi again, I was wondering if I should use "group channel" for the drums channel, thus to gain the same level for all the drums esspecialy for the fills.
Thank you.
Freddy G

I normally send all my audio channels with drums on them to a group channel so I can compress them as a whole and keep the relative levels of the drums the same when I need to turn them up or down as a whole.

Farview said:
I normally send all my audio channels with drums on them to a group channel so I can compress them as a whole and keep the relative levels of the drums the same when I need to turn them up or down as a whole.
Jason, hi
Thank you for the answer, now I understand why I couldn't send MIDI channel to a group.
By the way, I visited your site, great, couldn't say the same about mine thou.
May I ask you here a few more questions? I got the impression you are very experienced beside your good intention of helping others.
Thank you so much.

FreddyG

Last edited:
FreddyG said:
May I ask you here a few more questions? I got the impression you are very experienced beside your good intention of helping others.
That's why we are here. Ask away.

Thank you for your kind words about the studio

To be continued..

Jason, hi

Well, I know there's no wonder button to use for mixing, but I'm sure there is a way to make one. I asked a lot of people even here at the studio I work about the mixing, I even took a sound course, but still, no one seems to know a proper direction. Perhaps you could be so kind to guide me maybe there is a book (at least) I should study, the Internet is full of them, or some softwares that again the Internet is full of, I should practice on. Many people who have listened to my stuff say that isn't finished, and I understand and of course agree with, that my work is not "well done" until the end. But that's it. As you know it's very easy to complain esspecially about somebody else, but to help with a solution, no one seem to know. Anyhow, if you have some free time, I'd invite you to take a tour into my humble site where you'd be able to get an impression about what I'm talking. Thank you so much.

Sincereky,
Freddy G
www.freddymusicstudio.com

FreddyG said:
Hi again, I was wondering if I should use "group channel" for the drums channel, thus to gain the same level for all the drums esspecialy for the fills.

This basic idea is called "submixing", and is a good way to combine similar instruments and sounds in your mix, so that you may, as Farview said, process groups of instruments together, such as compression on drum sections, reverb on strings, etc. And, of course, it also allows you to pan or set the fader level for the group as a whole in relation to the rest of the mix. It can also be used to build several different "stems", or variations of each group of instruments, which gives you more options for how you want the final mix to sound when you're ready to bounce to a single stereo file.

Thank you for the idea, but before doing that, I wanted to ask you this: ALL the mixes are done on AUDIO files only? One by one? Is there any way to make a "preview" of the mix before? (Like bypassing between the versions)
Thank you.

Freddy G

I'm not sure I understand the question. I really don't deal with midi the same way everyone else does. I actually record it as audio and just mix it as usual.

I take all my tracks and send them to group channels. All the drums together, all the guitars together, all the vocals together. I make sure that the groups of tracks are mixed well together, so I can then mix the song from the group channels.

Re:

Hi Jason,

OK, thanks. I know, perhaps for you these questions sound funny, but, I have some "holes" in my musical education, however I am quite satisfied of my music, but as u can see, the final sound quality still buggs me a lot and every day I learn a little.
I will definitely try the option you just propose to me. I was thinking however maybe to start with something simple, and actually I have a playback I made for someone, will you be so kind to listen to it and tell me what to do with it?
Thank you so much.

Sincerely
Freddy G

I would love to but, at least for a couple more weeks, I am on dailup. I can't download anything big.

Re:

Hi Jason,

I can cut a slice of my song for you, I don't want you to be grounded downloading my stuff, or working extra hours for me. I' sure with your experience ab 30 seconds of it, will be enough, and it will weight ab 500KB.What do you say ab? Thanks so much.

Freddy G

Send me a slice :)
as for your grouping question, think of grouping as a Pyramid. The top of it is the Final output, and the base is all the elements of the song. You can Re-group, grouped tracks too. For example: When setting up drums in the mixer, I usually will group all the toms, and group all my cymbals, then take those 2 groups and group them together on a Master drum group which also includes the kicks, snares, etc. Now if I want to say Gate all the toms I can do them together, or quickly adjust their levels or the cymbals as a group or adjust the whole kit. I usually do this for every section of the song. Vocals, same thing The master vocal group will consist of the Main vocals, as well as groups of background vocals, which again allows me too adjust the overall balances very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back