Using gates with drums?

Bob F.

I mic'd up my drum kit, and I'm getting a lot of bleed that I'd like to tame by using gates on the mics. If the plug-ins are post-fader, how....

How does this work? :confused:

What to do, and some help with the "how-to", please? Any suggestions for which plug-ins to use and how to set them? I appreciate it!

Please remember--I'm a nOOb! :o

Using PT9 w/ 003 Factory....

Thanks! :D

oh that's epic....

type 'digidesign gate' into youtube. there's tutorial after tutorial.

I'm not being lazy,,,i just think videos are a great way to learn the basics quickly.

don't know if it helps but what i generally do is gate compression then eq. depending that its needed. also i dont gate overheads dont know about other people. might help

I have never had good results myself gating anything on a kit other than a kick. It just never sounds natural. I would focus more on mic placement. Or even moving the kit around. It is hard to get another drummer to change their setup, but I do whatever it takes to get it right with mine. What is it that is bleeding into what?

Pretty much the 604s into each other. I know that the OHs are going to pick up just about everything, and the kick mic isn't bad. If I hit the snare or toms, though, every drum-related channel lights up.

Back