Using External Preamp with Firepod?

wishtheend

Okay, I'm a little confused here. I know the firepod has built in preamps, but when I was browsing PreSonus' site, I came across this...

http://www.presonus.com/pdf/adl_hookup-2mics.pdf

It's an ad for a new 2-ch preamp of theirs and I see they have it routed back to the firepod for recording I assume. Would the preamps on the firepod effect the sound of the new preamp coming in? Basically, how would one go about running better pre's through the firepod.

The picture shows the outputs of the ADL 600 connected to the LINE inputs of the Firepod. This would bypass the Firepod's mic preamps on those two channels.

I am just a little confused. To bypass the preamp, you would have to go line-in, which would be the 1/4in jacks, correct? But presonus is showing the output of their preamp XLR into the firepod. The only channels to have line inputs other than the connectors on front (yes, I know they accept both xlr and 1/4) are channels 1 and 2 which have the line-ins on the back. The PDF file however shows them going into Channel 3 & 4.

I'm just lost to how the whole connection of another preamp to firepod goes. It seems that you want to bypass the firepod pres, but I'm assuming you can only do it to two channels, right?

The picture I see on the Presonus web site shows the front panel of the Firepod. The connectors on channels 1 and 2 are labeled "Mic * Instrument", and the connectors on channels 3 through 8 are labeled "Mic * Line". So 3 and 4 have line inputs, which you get to by plugging a 1/4" TS or TRS plug into the combo jack. I think you could plug the preamps into any of the line inputs on the rear, if you prefer.

Back