Using external mixer (submixer) with portastudio 464

Badmongo88

Hi, So i have a Mackie onyx 1620 mixer and a 4 track portastudio 464. And i wanted to use my mackie since it has better preamps and it has phantom power. So i was wondering what is the best way to hook it up to my portastudio?

I tried using the main outs from the mackie and plugging them into the preamps on my portastudo. that works, but is it possible if i want mono and add multiple channels to one track by using only one of the main out channles?

And what is the best way to route it to the portastudio? i mean to get the best result? if i connect it using one of the preamp wont that ruin a bit of the quality from the mackie preamps?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much

Regards

Badmongo88

Use the Main Outs on the Mackie & plug them into any of the 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, or 11/12 inputs, in pairs, respectively.
These are the inputs on the mixer that don't have preamps. They are line level inputs. Assign them as a pair to L/R.
Route your outputs from the Mackie to either L or R. Odd tracks 1 & 3 record from the Left side. Even tracks 2 & 4 record from the Right side. You could achieve the same results by panning everything on the Mackie to Center, then the differentiation of which track you're recording to is switched on the Rec Funct switches and both L and R get the same mono signal. It's a minor difference. You can do it either way.
:spank::eek:;)

Back