using effects send

kobra

Hello
I am recording my vocals direct into my Tascam MKII 4 track. I am recording on the 3rd track, and using the effects send 1 to send it thru my Digitech rp100 guitar processor to add echo/reverb, etc. and sending it back to track 4. But I am not getting any effects. What am I doing wrong.
Thanks

using effects send (424 MKII)

Forgot to mention it's a 424 MKII and the guitar effects thing doesn't have a wet/dry signal line, just a vloume control

Instead of coming back into track 4, come back into 5-6, or 7-8. these are the fx returns. Set the effect 1 and/or effect 2 monitor switches to the right. Then set the 5-6, or 7-8 switches to L-R to send the signal to the L-R bus, or Mon just for monitoring, but not sending the fx to mixdown. Hope that helps.

Hello
Thanks, I'm starting to get a clearer picture, but I'm still missing something. Am I putting the effects on while I'm singing, cuz then I'd just go in line. If I'm returning it to 5-6 or 7-8, what track is it ending up on. I have totally dry vocals on 3, guitar and drum machine on 2, and bass on 1. I want to have "wet" vocals on 4, or somewhere, so that I can mix down tracks 1, 2, and 4. I guess I don't understand about the 5-6 or 7-8 tracks, and where they go. Also, should I be putting track 4 on Buss R record or not?
Thanks

kobra said:
Hello
Thanks, I'm starting to get a clearer picture, but I'm still missing something. Am I putting the effects on while I'm singing, cuz then I'd just go in line. If I'm returning it to 5-6 or 7-8, what track is it ending up on. I have totally dry vocals on 3, guitar and drum machine on 2, and bass on 1. I want to have "wet" vocals on 4, or somewhere, so that I can mix down tracks 1, 2, and 4. I guess I don't understand about the 5-6 or 7-8 tracks, and where they go. Also, should I be putting track 4 on Buss R record or not?
Thanks

5-6, 7-8 are stereo channels that can also be used as stereo effect returns.

I'm a little confused on what you're doing. You want to mix down tracks 1 & 2 (drums,bass) with wet vocals? Are we talking about mixing down to an external mixdown deck or bouncing 1, 2, wet vocals to track 3?

If you're just mixing down 1, 2, wet vocals to an external mixdown deck, then you don't need to have the wet vocals recorded to track 4. When you bring the fx back into the tascam, they can be assigned to the L-R bus which in turn goes to your Line Out. The adantage of doing it that way and not recording the vocals to track 4 is that you're eliminating an unnecessary step and avoiding tape/line noise and signal degradation.

Hello
I see what you are saying, and I am obviously more than a little confused myself. I should just be mixing down to an external deck, but I cant even get effects in the monitor. I am not even sure if I can use a guitar pre-amp in this fashion, although I don't see why not. I also realized from a different post that I also probably have the effect send turned way up, which is overloading the preamp. The other post suggested that I keep the effects send as low as possible, which I have yet to try.
Thanks

Back