using different drivers for different applications

VirtualSamana

Hi guys.

I am using ASIO drivers for fruity loops, WDM drivers for sonar, and MME drivers for soundforge. Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Is this likely to cause crashes, pops, clicks and other bad things?

Right now I use each program individually. IE, I use fruity then close it before I would use Sound Forge or Sonar.

I do the same thing as far as asio for some stuff and wdm for sonar and it doesn't seem to cause me any noticeable problems. Are you experiencing noise right now?

deemic said:
I do the same thing as far as asio for some stuff and wdm for sonar and it doesn't seem to cause me any noticeable problems. Are you experiencing noise right now?

ditto...

No noise but I am unable to have a program that uses WDM and a program that uses MME drivers open simultaneously. Is this the fault of the drivers?

You're asking a lot to expect the computer to be able to run two different drivers at the same time to address the same piece of hardware. I doubt it's possible.

AlChuck said:
You're asking a lot to expect the computer to be able to run two different drivers at the same time to address the same piece of hardware. I doubt it's possible.

humm? maybe...

I can't think of a reason I'd want to, but I suppose it's somehow possible.

I was under the impression that MME drivers were falling by the wayside.

Errrr... guys, isn't ASIO and WDM something totally different ??? To my knowledge ASIO is an interface between a soundcard's drivers and software (like eg. Cubase), while WDM is a driver type ... (so actually: soundcard -> WDM -> ASIO -> program)

I know for example that in my soundcards' WDM drivers (ST Audio) I can choose which in/output pair is assigned to either ASIO, MME or GSE (gigasampler) ....

Or am I wrong here ? :confused: :confused:

Herwig

As far as I know, ASIO is a driver type just as much as WDM. It's just not concocted by Microsoft. ASIO addresses the hardware on the same level that MME or WDM do, not as a layer over MME, as far as I know. That's how ASIO allows capabilities -- particularly, lower latency -- that MME drivers do not.

Back