Using Cubase with an external USB Mixer

plevine64

Hi! I have been using Cubase 5.1 for several years with great success. I've interfaced with a Tascam US800 and used the computer based mixer to control everything. For Christmas, I am receiving a Behringer x1204usb mixing board, and I am curious if this will allow me to control Cubase much the same as the pc based mixer did? In other words, when I assign tracks on the board, will they record independently on Cubase? Also, when I playback for mix down, will my board allow me to adjust volume and effects per track? I have not been able to find much documentation on how this all works, and since I haven't yet been given the equipment (it's wrapped and under the tree!), I can't experiment yet.

The x1204 is an analog mixer. It can't control anything other than the analog signals passing through it. You'll still need to use the virtual mixer that's part of Cubase to mix your recorded audio.

The digital interface built into the x1204 is stereo, which means you can't record more than two separate tracks at a time from the main output. It's not really designed with studio style recording as a priority though it can sort of do it. Most likely the interface is only 16 bit, which is "okay" but there's good reason to record audio at 24 bit.

I noticed that there is an ASIO driver that can be downloaded and used from Behringer. Will this allow track mapping much the way my Tascam works? Or will I still be stuck to two tracks at a time?

I noticed that there is an ASIO driver that can be downloaded and used from Behringer. Will this allow track mapping much the way my Tascam works? Or will I still be stuck to two tracks at a time?

Software won't change the hardware's inherent limitations.

That mixer is just a two channel audio interface with some extra function. It has mic preamps and effects, which are nifty, but it has the same two channel ins and outs that your other interface has.

If you want to control the mixer in Cubase with a piece of hardware, you need to look for a control surface.

Thanks everybody for your input. I am returning the mixer. Now I'm interested if anybody has worked with the Behringer BCF2000 control surface? Does it work well to control Cubase? Specifically, Cubase 5.1? Any input is appreciated!

I used to use one of these back when I had Cubase 5, and NEVER got it going properly. Totally my fault, and despite behringer helping me set it up. I think simply too many potential maps of buttons and knobs to the software, so it always meant having to do real knobs AND on screen ones.

If you are simply looking for fader control, it will.work fine. These things tend to get tricky when you try to use them to control vst effects. There are thousands of them and you will have to map each one, or limit yourself to using a few specific ones.

A control surface will not make your recordings or mixes better. There is nothing more "real" or "organic" about having real faders and knobs. You would be much better off spending the money on mics, a better interface, better plugins, etc... something that will make it sound better.

Back