Using Comp16 with Firebox preamps

akpcep

Hi all,

This may be a painfully newb thing to ask, but -

I was thinking of getting an affordable outboard compressor to give me a bit more control when tracking vocals/acoustic gtrs etc. I'm currently using the Fireboxes preamps which I find to be OK. I've got a Yamaha MG12/4 mixer which I use to route stuff into the Fireboxes line ins, but I'm not keen on the preamps in the mixer.

Would there be a way of using the Presonus Comp16 in this setup while still using the fireboxes preamps? If there is I can't work it out!

Thanks in advance guys!

Sure.

The Presonus 16 is a mono compressor which has XLR outs and can be plugged straight into your Firebox. The instrument or microphone can be plugged straight into the compressor, which has phantom power for use with condenser microphones.

Brilliant, thanks for the help. So it kind of acts before the preamp then? Is that OK to do?

I've been reading these boards all morning and I'm actually thinking of getting an RNC instead... which would be easier to use as an insert into the Yamaha desk, using the mixer's preamps. Which might actually be a better sounding solution, what do you think?

Back