using buses to mix

montage

My band recently recorded some songs using SONAR6; we're still somewhat newbies with the software. We're to the mixing point and I've just recently introduced the idea of using a bus rather than dumping effects into each tracks FX bin.

I guess one of my questions is what is a typical bus set-up for the following:
drums
2 rhythm guitars
1 lead guitar
bass
1 lead vocal
multiple back-up vocals
Do you organize different buses and/or do you have a "final mixdown" bus? If so what does it do in the context of your mixes?
I understand it is all very subjective, but just hoping a response might have me thinking in a better organized direction.

I've also been reading up on using Parametric EQ in terms of a high pass filter for frequencies not necessary. Do you typically utilize this in the channel strip of each track, or do you set-up somthing in the respective bus (e.g. a vocal bus)? Or does it become its own bus entirely?

Thanks for all replies

Thats the best way to do it, effectively.

You should also have one bus with a reverb at a 100% wet setting, then you can use the "effect send" in each track, as you might want a little more reverb on the snare than on the kick, for example.

For the high pass, it is built in each tracks, you don't need to put an effect. Press I, then make sure you see the eq (if not you will see it under the display tab, under the fader)
Turn on the eq next to Band 1, then 2click on the rectangle above and there is the track eq.

Hope this helps

When it comes to using buses the things to worry about the most is making sure Point "A" leads to point "B". Out side of that you can organize things how ever you deem fit. Some examples are as follows:

In one example you could run with the default where every track's output goes to the main bus.

In another example you could create a bus for each instrument. Then route the output of those corresponding tracks to there respective instrument bus, or buses. This is called grouping, and this is best used with instruments that have multiple tracks. Like a double tracked guitar, or a multi-mic'ed drum set. This technique will allow you to have one master volume slider for an entire group of tracks before they hit the main output bus.

As far as a "final mix down" bus goes. I personally just use the default master bus. When it comes down to it a bus is a bus, it's just t a common signal carrier. What really matters the most is what's coming in, and whats going out. Signal flow is key.

P.s. When it comes to effect buses some things are still better off being on the track effect's bin. For example a brick wall limiting compressor won't be effective unless it's directly on the track. Personally I look at it like this. If I would use the effect directly on the instrument while recording in a real studio enviroment, then I put the effect in the FX bin, because then the effect is DIRECTLY effecting the out put of that track. If the effect is an after thought, then I use a bus.

Just my $0.02

Back