Using Autotune and can it be done on my setup ???

scotia80

A couple of questions in one here

Is there anyway autotune can be used to sound natural without sounding like a robot ?

And could I use Autotune on my setup, using a zoom 1680 digital 16 track cos I dont record onto PC.
For example could I record a vocal track then burn it onto disc and load into computer and fix with autotune then put it back onto the zoom studio with the rest of the music ? I know this must seem a long road for a shortcut but I can only use the equipment I have at my disposal.

Cheers
Scott

Yes, there is a way to make it sound natural. You have to be VERY subtle with it though. I can easily tell there is auto-tune on some "professionally" mixed tracks. Auto-tune is what I'm best at hearing though. The average listener probably doesn't hear what I'm hearing. Anyway, enough bragging by me. :D

I actually don't know of any software that allows you to apply pitch correction without a DAW.

There are auto-tune plug-ins that you can use in conjunction with a DAW such as Antares for example.

could I record a vocal track then burn it onto disc and load into computer and fix with autotune then put it back onto the zoom studio with the rest of the music tt

Yes, you can definitely do that. I'm not familiar with your machine, but if it has a USB output, you can transfer your files that way, instead of using a disc. But your way would work too.

Yes, there is a way to make it sound natural. You have to be VERY subtle with it though. I can easily tell there is auto-tune on some "professionally" mixed tracks. Auto-tune is what I'm best at hearing though. The average listener probably doesn't hear what I'm hearing. Anyway, enough bragging by me. :D

I actually don't know of any software that allows you to apply pitch correction without a DAW.

There are auto-tune plug-ins that you can use in conjunction with a DAW such as Antares for example.

Any tips or is it just trial & error and take your time to get it right ?

Yes, you can definitely do that. I'm not familiar with your machine, but if it has a USB output, you can transfer your files that way, instead of using a disc. But your way would work too.

It's a pretty old machine and hasn't got USB but I know it inside out and just love using the thing and can get great recordings with it thats how I havn't moved on to DAW, really appriciate your help

It's a pretty old machine and hasn't got USB but I know it inside out and just love using the thing and can get great recordings with it thats how I havn't moved on to DAW, really appriciate your help
I know the feeling. It took me a long time to let go of my 2488. I've just recently moved to PC recording. I can't say it's better, just different. Probably a little faster. But nothing wrong with using whatever you're used to.

Autotune is a plug-in that works within another computer program. Gotta have that other program for autotune to work. Any DAW would do, like Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, etc. I don't think Auto-tune has standalone capability. Melodyne does and if you can import your wav files to your computer, you can use that instead of Auto-tune.

Another option would be to find a hardware unit that does pitch correction like THIS.

Autotune is a plug-in that works within another computer program. Gotta have that other program for autotune to work. .

True. Forgot to mention that. I just took it for granted. :cool:

Just realised this is a plug in myself there, is there any way to use for example a copy of pro tools to just use the autotune and do what I stated in my earlier post and load it back onto my studio with a completed vocal ?

Thanks with all your help with this guys

Yes, you should be able to do that. It is a long road like you said.

Also, in your first post you asked about making autotune sound natural; that is its intended purpose. It wasn't really meant to be a robot effect or T-Pain/Cher gimmick. You hear Autotune when the parameters are set to the extreme to get that effect. Using it normally, you shouldn't hear it.

Just want to say a big thanks guys for all your input, only just starting to get into using computers with music and this site is a wee gem........thanks again

The way to get auto-tune to sound natural is to edit the pitch manually. In automatic mode, it will almost always sound like a robot or not correct enough to do the job.

+1 for what Farview said. Despite the "Auto" in Autotune, the only way I've ever found to get subtle, undetected results is to use it in manual mode and laboriously do it note by note.

Obviously this works better if you're only fixing one or two duff notes in a whole track. If it's somebody who shouldn't really be singing, you need a LOT of patience!

I'm gonna give reaper a try since I've got a pretty crappy computer and after reading it seems that has the least system requirements............fingers crossed

I would suggest buying 'Melodyne' its a standalone auto tune program you will be able to use without the need for a DAW such as protools. It is easy to use and a very powerful program and can be used subtly and sound natural if used correctly but its not a complicated program and i think it will suit your needs well.

Trout

Back