Using an XLR "Y" on over-heads

getuhgrip

Bring Back Transfat!
I'm recording 6 drums, 4 cymbals and hats. With 8 inputs to work with, I'm wondering about the feasability of using a "Y" to throw a 9th mic between hats and crash.

My little diagram shows the existing over-heads in black, with the proposed mic in red, which would be "Y'd" to the one next to it.

I'm guessing I'd have to play with actual placement to get the signal I want, but beyond that, is there any problems doing this?

Attachments

• drum.JPG
    drum.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 32
Use the Y on dynamic mics, they will tolerate that sort of thing better. It won't work as well to share phantom power between two condensers.

Use the Y on dynamic mics, they will tolerate that sort of thing better. It won't work as well to share phantom power between two condensers.

Hadn't even considered that. Welp, there goes that idea!

But wait...you're saying that I could Y the two tom mics. That might work out. Hell, I might just run a couple mics to my little mixer, and daisy chain into the recorder. Lotsa possibilities.

Thanks, man. :cool:

But wait...you're saying that I could Y the two tom mics. That might work out.

You can. They will load each other down, but as long as they are the same mic that's not the end of the world. It's only tom mics.

Hell, I might just run a couple mics to my little mixer, and daisy chain into the recorder. Lotsa possibilities.

That's a much better idea.

Back