Using Alesis Mixer with S/PDIF output as interface?

bkcaud

I have an Alesis 12FXD mixer (which appears to have been discontinued in favor of the USB and Firewire versions) with a S/PDIF digital output. I have primarily used it for live sound reinforcement of vocals, and am wondering if it could be used as an interface for decent recording. I am not that familiar with S/PDIF. I noticed a laptop for sale (I need to buy one) that had a built-in S/PDIF audio port. I'm not sure that the other specs on the laptop are ideal (only 512 MB RAM and 40 GB HD).

I guess I'm trying to get around having to buy an interface. If I were to purchase a laptop with USB and/or Firewire connections, then I would have to buy some other type of interface with S/PDIF inputs right? I assume at that point the mixer would become essentially useless because any decent interface would also have other analog inputs? I would probably only be recording one or two inputs simultaneously and wouldn't really need the extra channels the mixer would provide.

Let me know if my thinking here is correct and if going S/PDIF direct into a laptop is a workable option.

Thanks,

Bryce

You are correct in assuming that you will need an interface/sound card. The spdif out is merely a digital out.

I assume at that point the mixer would become essentially useless because any decent interface would also have other analog inputs?

It would be useful for keyboards or drum machines, PODs, etc. It's more a matter of convenience, I dont want to be constantly switching around wires, my Yamaha mixer has 2 keyboards, a J-Station and a Drum Machine hooked into it. Technically I might not need it but it sure makes life easier.

YOur mixer also has pre-amps and phantom power, so you could go the cheap route and get a soundcard that doesnt have that stuff ( M-audio Audiophile for example). Your mixer also has digital effects, so there are plenty of things you can do. Bottom line: it is not a soundcard or interface, and you will need one. :)

Back