Using a PA Head as a Mixer

RyanEmerson

I have a BOSS BR-1180 CDR/W recording unit, and the built-in compression and effects are tight. However, I want clearer vocals. I was thinking of buying a small mixer with digital effects for like $100 to $200, but why when I can save money by running my mic through the PA into the RCA input of the recorder?

Does anyone see any problems with this, and if so, are there ways to get around them. Would you recommend recording in at the highest possible volume, and use compression to keep it balanced, or what?

You've got a mic pre-amp in your Boss unit, so I don't understand why you want to run the mic through an outboard mixer mic pre-amp or PA head mic pre-amp. I don't think either would give you better results than the Boss pre-amp, and the PA pre-amp would probably be noisier.

I don't understand the part about clearer vocals either. I've read your post a few times now but I think I'm missing something, please give us some more info.

yeah like what kind of mic are you using? instead of another mixer....get a good condensor mic and I'm sure the boss unit has phantom power.

I used to work with 500$ Yamaha PA head some years ago, it was so noisy. Pretty worthless for recording
I gave up after week or so, sold it and bought some cheap Alesis preamp which performed much better.

i'd agree, i used a fairly expensive roland powered mixer and (making sure i didn't connect my soundcard to the powered outputs!) got some ok results. but they were very dull and much noisy than my Behringer UB, possibly because i seemed to get quite a low signal from it so had to extra gain.

Back