Using a MXL 990 to record kick drum

Stubby03

I am a bass player, recording our band. Can I use a MXL 990 condenser mic to record the kick drum. Or will the pressure pop the mic? Im using 3 shure 57's on the snare and overheads. Any help is appreciated.

Would not be my first choice but it shouldn't be an issue. If you are worried about it just turn the mic off axis a bit.

Can you use an MXL 990 to record a kick drum? Yes....Will it sound good?....No.

Thanks for all
the input. I kinda thought it wouldn't sound good. Just tryin to make do with what I got to work with.

With those mics I would try recording the whole kit with the MXL990 somewhere in front of the kit. (A bit of trial and error with placement to get all the sounds even as possible) Then stick a 57 on the snare and kick and use them to add a bit more definition to them in the mix.

Though I'm not expert, it is what I would try. :thumbs up:

With those mics I would try recording the whole kit with the MXL990 somewhere in front of the kit. (A bit of trial and error with placement to get all the sounds even as possible) Then stick a 57 on the snare and kick and use them to add a bit more definition to them in the mix.

Another approach for sure.

Here's what my first approach would be.
2 - 57's as overheads - recorderman setup
1- 57 in kick
MXL 990 on snare

Depending on the song style you may or may not need the extra bite on the snare the condenser will provide. Recorderman usually gets a pretty good amount of the snare

If you don't need the condenser on the snare and you have a hard floor than I would try putting it out in front of the kit. Place in 6 - 10 inches off the floor angled towards the floor. The idea being you are capturing reflections of the entire kit off the floor. Start as far back as you can (6-8ft) and move around as necessary. I have done this before with mixed results but hey there are no rules so give everything a shot.

If the reflections don't work out then just point it at the kick. Worse case you toss the track.

One other wacky thing is get a metal bucket and stick the 990 in it and record that. Should provide something completely different. May not be good but it is different

Last edited:

I know this is an old thread, but in case someone happens upon it...I did record a whole set with one MXL 990 placed directly in front of the drums.. ..LOL..obviously NOT ideal, or anywhere near it, but in a pinch for a practice CD for example, it actually doesn't do half bad..
couple examples..please not, that we were just messing around having fun..NOT trying to be serious here and make a demo or anything, at the time I was just recording the whole evening, then would later remove the talking during breaks etc...
and NO..we are not a country band...not that their is anything wrong with country, but..we were just having fun here..LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX9uRvSuRls

this is closer to what we play..and the same with using a single MXL 990..LOL
(why am i also getting picked on anyway? LOL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_XP_dF3d54

Opps..wrong video above (but it was also done the same way) meant to post this one...In all of them, I should brung up the single MXL a bit higher in the mix, but again, these were just for us to mess with at home after jamming..not meant to be any kind of real effort for a demo or anything..and..ZERO adjustments made before rendering..not even sound/level adjustments..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDyHMcd09Lc

Back